Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving a C1 camper on B licence

• 11-04-2022 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All,

I have had a full Irish Driving licence since 1974. Am I entitled to drive a camper that's over 3500kg under the grandfathering criteria.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

This section seems most relevant

Vehicles falling into the 3,501kg and 7,500kg GVW range are those classed as C1 on current licences. Drivers wishing to maintain that category on their deiving licence are required to succesfully pass a medical examination at renewal time.

There is significant anecdotal reports that many who had the entitlement to a C1 category licence have lost it due to their failure to re-apply for its renewal in the past. 

However, under the rule that a driving licence may be renewed up to 10 years after its expiry date, if it is less than 10 years since the C1 category expired it may be added back on, subject to passing the required medical examination and without the need to undertake a driving test

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Its ridiculous realy ..... I can drive a 53 seater bus but not a 4000 kg campervan

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

I'm open to correction, but I think its only the UK that allow the grandfathering criteria on driving licences. Ireland haven't adopted it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

The grandfathering rights run out. Get into a drivers license office, or whatever they are called now, and ask. They will be able to look up your license details and give you a yes or no straight off.

I got a C1 put on my license this way about 10 years ago, and when I asked, I was within a few months of those rights running out. Dont delay.

Merv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

As said, If you had it but haven't renewed it within 10 years of it expiring, it's gone.

To get it back you must do the whole test rigmarole again. It's basically the same as the rule about losing an ordinary car license if you don't renew within ten years of its expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

yes just renewed mine as when I went to renew my license abiout 3 years ago they said I had to do a medical to keep it however I did not have time to do it then so just renewed my B license and anything else covered without the medical. Now I am think of replacing my MH and want the extra option so I phones the NDLS and they said no probs justy get the forms completed by a doctor. I made an appointment and completed the forms, scanned them up and registered for a mygov id and applied online. Got email to say it was processed and 2 days later license in the post, my car license is now valid until 2032 and C1 until 2027. Happy days.

Reason I did not do it earlier was I work 50km from home and never wanted to waist a day for the NDKS however doing it by post was a good option especially when I was going to see the doc anyway.

If you want to check call them and they will let you know if you are entitled or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

Also C1 and any commercial categories reissued every 5 years.

Advertisement