Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will a 22-250 be granted for foxing Co.Mayo.

Options
  • 10-04-2022 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Applying for a dedicated foxing rifle soon, Putting some feelers out to see what calibres others are using for foxing.

Debating .223 or 22-250, leaning towards a 22-250 for a flat and hard hitting for both day and night use without the need of ranging/holdover etc. From what I see the Amunition costs are only slight between the two calibres when using the higher quality stuff in both.

Has anyone experienced any trouble in being granted a 22-250 for foxing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

If you can justify based on the ranges, topography and land suitability then it shouldn't be a problem.

Guidelines from AGS cite the .220 centrefire as popular and as you know the 22-250 is lower down the power range that the 220 swift..

Where you might have trouble is going for 243 for foxes but its still doable..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Theirishman

Thanks for the reply.

I have the acres which in my eyes is suitable. Is there also and argument to be made for a lead ban, faster twist rates etc ? I don’t know if that something AGS would even take into account ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Just remember; that there is no "suitable topography or minimum average aceage required" for any type of rifle here.[Except for the deer hunting license, and that is even questionable legally] Even the Commissioner's guidelines allude to this point too

So; Don't get hung up about this in your application. Apply and see what happens. If they start giving you grief about this point, make sure to mention the above points, and if they can point it out otherwise in the firearms acts and on the conditions to be considered when granting a license.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

No reason for it not to be granted other than personal preferences of the SI or Garda handling applications.

Stick it in and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

the lead ban and twist rates would only be effective with a larger calibre. A 243 or 260 or 270 in a full copper offering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement