Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back boiler question

Options
  • 10-04-2022 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently bought a house that was built in the late 80's. The heating system in the house is a modern gas boiler currently, the house is pretty much being gutted and there were 2 pipes presumably a flow and return running done the side of the fireplace into the fire but they were disconnected in the attic, so I am assuming there was some sort of back boiler in there at one stage which had been disconnected.

What I have done now is knocked down the course of brickwork that was to the side of the fireplace behind which these pipes ran, to reclaim some space to the side of the fireplace. I have cut the pipes flush with the chimney now.

My plan now is to just seal these pipes up with fire cement because I can't have them venting hot air behind plasterboard that will be plastered but I am worried that there is something still in the fire and my blocking these pipes up will create a sealed space.

Any guides online are from the UK and they all reference gas fires, this was never a gas fire so the advice isn't really relevant.

Wondering if anyone has any idea if what I am planning on doing is ok?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭blackbox

You would be better to cap the pipes with the appropriate fitting (copper or gun barrel), leaving them open at the top ends. Fire cement may crack and fall out over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

Sorry but my question isn't what to cap them with that's absolutely irrelevant and I can work that out myself, my question is will the thing blow up if I seal it !!

I don't know what you mean leave them open at the top ends? There is no top ends, there are 2 pipes that have been chopped flush literally as they exit the side of a fireplace hearth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Is the back boiler still in place or was it removed ?

Can you take a pic of your fire?

I have no idea man, looks like the people before me were lighting fires no issues and it's just me being anal because I will be blocking the pipes sorry the pic is sideways, what you are looking at is the left hand side of the fireplace, I have chiseled out a course of bricks that were accomodating pipes going in on the right hand side that I have chopped off.

You should be able to see the remnants of the pipes on the left side of the fireplace

I don't know whether it was ever removed, all I know is the pipes were chopped in the attic and all I have done now is chop them right at the source instead, but my intention is to block them up whereas before they were able to breath in the attic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭blackbox

By top end, I meant the end in the attic. If these are left open there can be no pressure build up.

Ah I get you, no those pipes are gone as I chopped them all out as they weren't connected. All that remains now are two stubs where I chopped the two pipes off that were going into the side of the chimney. It is these ones that I'm wondering whether to cap.

Advertisement