Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it crazy to book a holiday before finalising financing?

Options
  • 09-04-2022 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

I am in a fortunate position that I have been gifted a property by my parents (please don't attack me!) It is however a small property with some repairs/renovations needed.

I am in the process of getting finance to renovate and extend it. The bank have informally told me that they should be able to fund 100% of my costs and I would just have to have a 10% contingency fund saved. I have comfortably above this saved and after 2 years in lockdown I would love to have 2 weeks away in the sun in the summer. However, would the bank have an issue with me doing this? I would be paying for it out of a Revolut vault that I have. I haven't touched my any of my savings accounts or vaults in over a year (this only reason I touched my savings account in the last few years was to pay off the balloon payment on my PCP on my car last year), I have another Revolut vault for legal fees etc.

I have no debt either, and would not be putting any of the holiday on a credit card. I'm just worried that the bank would have a big issue with me spending potentially over €1000 on a holiday whilst trying to get finance for an extension.

Am I overthinking it or am I correct in thinking that this would be a stupid thing to do? (I'm a very bad over-thinker)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Kurooi

They can pick at you 'not saving that month' if they see it in your statements.

But you could choose a hotel that doesn't charge you until closer to your holiday, you can get your finance and the bank wouldn't know any better. I would also advise requesting all statements (including a download of revolut) before you pay that bulk of cost. No harm in having those handy. That way even if you need more cash you have 1-3 months to use them before they go out of date and again, your holiday won't show.

Advertisement