Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another what bike next thread

Options
  • 09-04-2022 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am fairly new to motorbikes, been at it about 2 years, I have full A licence.

My first (and current) bike is a Yamaha XJ6S Diversion. It's been a great first bike, very easy to handle but a bit pedestrian in terms of performance.

I'm looking to upgrade and I'd like to move to something a bit sportier.

I looked at a 2014 GSX-R 750 this morning, 9,000km, full service history, spotless. However it's €9,500 (dealer) which seems expensive for what you get in terms of spec.

I also looked at the Aprilia RS660 today, stunning looking bike. Obviously more expensive than the 750 but has all the bells and whistles. I'm hoping to get a spin on one soon.

Any advice or recommendations very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Post edited by pobber1 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

I'm in the same position as you,

The gsxr 750 is supposed to be a great bike,more power but not too much for the road

I have been looking at the rs660 too but it's a lot more money for little extra power

Which garage had both of these?

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

I went from an XJ6 to a cbr600rr recently.

I now spend my weekends in a mild but constant state of alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭pobber1

The GSX-R is up in Belfast, Charles Hurst. It's a very basic bike, no ABS, no traction control, very basic instrument panel. I guess that's part of the appeal of them.

RS660 is in Megabikes. 4k more than the GSX-R I looked at but you get a lot more bike in my opinion. I need to get a spin on one to see what sort of power it has over the XJ6. It will be quicker of course, I'm just not sure it will be a night and day difference. I could be completely wrong about that of course.

@Acquiescence

Ha! That's a good thing though, right?

; )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I wouldn't agree that you get a lot more bike with the Aprilia - more gadgets yes, but the GSXR is far quicker, has better suspension and is a more reliable and solid bike. The GSXR is very expensive though, but unfortunately the price of everything has gone crazy now. You could buy a newer one 3 years ago for 2 grand less. I'm not sure I'd be paying 9k for an 8 year old one myself, so a brand new bike might make more sense as the warranty will cover any potential niggles.

• Advertisement

I was looking at the RS660 lately also as an option of next bike after the cbr650f,They are a lovely modern bike but most of the fancy toys are not really needed.

Seen a few reviews lately saying they are a great handling bike, just enough power but most of the gadgets are not needed and you Shouldn't really need AntiWheelie, TC, etc. on a 100hp bike

I'm now looking at either a gsxr750 or a blade next, still waiting to see when\if Yamaha announce an R9.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

It really depends on what you want, performance wise the GSXR is vastly superior to the Aprillia, but that may not be what you need, the RS is a beautiful bike, it will be much easier to ride everyday than the Gixxer, both leave the Divvie in the long grass.

Have you ridden either? I'd suggest familiarising yourself with them properly first, that would be the best way to decide.

Anti wheelie on a bike with 100bhp??? Though if you're riding in bad weather TC and ABS are great to have.

@batman_oh I am a bit blinded by all the gadgets : )

That's basically the same conclusion I came too, too little price difference between used and new.

@bladespin I'm out on the bike a lot and in all weather so the RS660 makes more sense from that perspective. Going for a spin on the 660 this week, hoping to get a spin on a 750 at the weekend. Very few newer 750's for sale though, plenty over in England but that's not an option anymore.

Let me know how you get on with the 660, which dealer has that available?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Think you know the answer so, the Gixxer is pretty much a full on sports bike for the real world (the 1000 is insane ;) the 660 is more all-round (still fun though).

• Advertisement

Yep. Got a spin on it on Thursday morning. It's incredible. I haven't been on that many bikes but from my very limited experience it really is something special. That engine! I had never been on a parallel twin before so it was a completely new experience.

I was grinning like a Cheshire cat for the whole test ride. Riding position is very comfortable, at least it was for the short time I was on it.

The mirrors are next to unless though above 80km/h. I couldn't tell if there was car or a truck behind me and judging distance was impossible.

Anyway, deposit placed, just need to decide on the color now.

Advertisement