Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to paint exterior walls PROPERLY?

Options
  • 09-04-2022 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭

So I am looking at some pillars, bollards and caps that were previously painted and they are awful. They are located in an exposed yard, which gets the elements, and were previously painted with what I think was cheap rubbish, supplied by a local authority worker, left over from a job they did.

I have a stock of Dulux weathershield and weather permitting, intend to do a job on it the easter weekend.

Is there a particular method that I should be using? Primer? Undercoat? etc etc. I attach a few photos so you can see what I am faceing.

Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,114 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'd make a good attempt to get that all off as no matter how good the paint you put on top, it will eventually throw it off.

If you do get it off, coat with a stabilising primer first then several coats of Weathershield.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

So what do you think is best method. Scrape off whats loose, rub down with a wire brush, and paint with a primer? Any particular product you think is suitable. I want to do it right so dont have to do it again.....

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 67,114 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yep, old school is best. Doesn't look like it will take a lot of effort.

I meant stabilising solution (which is clear) not 'primer. Should be ok to paint with the Weathershield after that. Thin the first coat a bit to aid adhesion.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

mondeoman72

the existing painting on the wall is in a very poor state and very loose in many areas.

if you paint over it the new paint will peel off again.

my recommendations is as follows. You have to remove the loose paint - I would do this with a professional power washer. You can hire this out for a day or two. Get an High Pressure Rotating Turbo Nozzle

This will also take off the algaes and litchens and moss etc. If you paint over these growths, they will die off and cause the new paint to fall off

Then coat the walls with a stabilising primer and follow with 2 coats of your weathershield paint. Read the instructions on the tin.

Advertisement