Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let young cattle out to 2 acre or 8 acre field

Options
  • 08-04-2022 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

20 weanlings coming out of the shed next week.

Do I let them into the 8 acre field or split that field into 4 using electric fence?

Does it matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Is there much grass on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Yes, they'll graze the 2 acres better, so the quality of grass will be better nextk time, so they'll do better weight wise.

In a big field, they spend too long, eat regrowth too early, leave the bits they don't like, field goes to Shi7.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

5 inches, no fertilizer this year, growth hasn't started yet here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Fence it keep them moving and if u can use a backing fence, off all year's grass utilizing is a must this year ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭minerleague

Are they used to electric fence? normally give them a full field with electric fence near ditch all around for a few days after coming out before trusting them to paddocks. What did you buy after? Whose advice did you follow after your earlier thread???

• Advertisement

I don't know if they're used to electric fence, I did plan to put them into a paddock for a week with the electric fence on before moving to bigger field

I purchased 16 weanlings, AAX and Limousin, all from sucklers, went through a dealer that my late father used. 6 AAX, love the AAX I have to say. 11, 12 and 13 months

Advertisement