Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Server Advice

Options
  • 08-04-2022 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking to setup a media server at home.

Have 3 TVs running as well as a number of smart devices so looking to stream to them from NAS storage of some kind

I'm no expert but looking at different options:

1. Frtizbox
    2. Raspberry Pi
    3. Dedicated NAS such as synology

Don't need huge storage. Have some hard drives already (USB versions)

Thinking of something like a Plex client on smart TVs but if other options are better open to them

Any and all advice welcome. thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've had a Synology DS2xx series running Plex for a few years now - at the time, hardware transcode seemed like an important factor so I bought the Intel powered + model rather than the much cheaper Arm - but I've never used the mobile apps so it really hasn't been an issue. Decide if you are ever going to do that first!

For reliability I wouldn't use USB storage myself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I have a Western Digital "My Cloud Expert Series EX2" which start €143.99 for a diskless unit. €419.99 for an 8TB unit (twin 4TB drives) and am very happy with it. I actually have two of them now. They come with "Twonky Server" built in which would share all your media contect to all your TV's assuming they are DNLA complient. Plex is also there, but I never bothered with it.

Buying them direct from the Western Digital Site always (for me) works out cheaper than Amazon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

When you say mobile apps you mean mobile phone ?

Plex app on TV works ok ?

Advertisement