If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Separating in social housing

  • 07-04-2022 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

    Hello, in a situation where a married couple are living in joint tenancy social housing and decide to separate who gets the house and who should be the one to leave?

    Is it possible to be legally separated and live in the same house?


  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

    if there are children involved, the likelihood is that the mother will remain in the family home with the children and the man will have to go

    The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

    Nobody has to go. Separation or divorce need not forcefully remove anyone from their home.

    Stay Free

  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

    it need not, but usually that's the way it ends up in practice.

    Sure if a couple get on well enough to remain living together sure then they might as well stay married.

    The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

    A joint tenancy is treated pretty much the same as any other family home (except that when a joint tenancy ends, the leaving tenant is no longer obliged to pay rent!)

    If a relationship between joint tenants breaks down either tenant can have their name removed from the tenancy by agreement between them, or if they can't agree, a judge can order who the tenancy should be transferred to.

    The housing authority or association will abide by the court's decision.