Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on attic conversion

Options
  • 07-04-2022 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all I’ve had a couple of quotes for an attic conversion with en-suite and want to go ahead with one. Its a standard enough package but I’ve nothing in writing yet. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should ensure is included or any extras that in retrospect you wish you had done at the time so I can ensure I am not missing anything as I really haven’t much of a clue!

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭OU812

1. Document everything (photos), any mistakes/errors, report them straight away
    2. Double the amount of sockets you think you'll need
    3. Get network cabling put in (even if it's not connected), much cheaper & easier to do it while the floor is up
    4. Get wired for an intercom doorbell or additional doorbell on the landing
    5. Make sure the floor is well screwed down before you put the carpet down
    6. anywhere you can put a cubby door (eves boxed off), do, get proper ones, not made on site
    7. Insulate the hell out of the eves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Karey

Thanks very much Ou812, that’s a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Try to plan where you will put a TV - it might need a socket up high.

I dont agree on the wiring for network cabling because a regular domestic modem could well cover it, but it could be needed alright depending on your house

make sure there is a structural engineer signing off on the work, you will need that when it comes to selling.

Builders tend to leave it at a “builders finish” which is plastered, no finished floor, skirting done.

If your putting down a wooden floor its nice to get that done before the skirting is in place, or at least decide on thickness of the floor and get the skirting put in with a gap underneath.

Get the crawl space in the eves floored as well, and lights installed its pain in the hole to do afterwards and some prices might not include it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭CPTM

Few small pointers which made a difference to our attic conversion.

Big skylights (ask them to include the blinds if they can so you don't have to sort it out afterwards). If I could go again, I'd ask for triple glazed or somewhat sound insulated skyslights to ease the sound of hailstones for example (impossible to eradicate this altogether though)

If they're moving the water tank to one side, move it (if possible) above the lesser used/spare room, as opposed to above your main bedroom.

We got the ensuite sink plumbed to the mains water (instead of the water tank plus pump solution). It means you can drink from the sink in the ensuite instead of having to go downstairs.

Be aware of the shower tray size they use and compare it against the one you have in your main bathroom. Sometimes they tend to be very small (we requested a bigger one)

Certificate of compliance from an Architect should be included as a must-have by the end of the project

If they're laying a floor down, get them to use the best sound insulation underlay you can find

Do you have a window at the top of your existing stairs? If so, have a chat with them about how much of it may or may not be cut off by the attic's stairs. I went for slightly steeper steps to ensure the window wasn't cut off at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Karey

what is the present state of your attic.

is the attic area floored with vertical sides, or is it an existing pitched roof with timber supports at an angle.

Photo?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ask who is providing you with a certificate of compliance with building regulations and planning regulations.

Look at the requirements for floors, walls, escape and detection in loft conversions.

Appendix D in this document - https://assets.gov.ie/100107/46250a2d-e09c-480a-8290-eb0b8bddcdcd.pdf

Advertisement