Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish resident looking to buy abroad

Options
  • 07-04-2022 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm an Irish resident looking to buy abroad (Italy), is there any chance to find an Irish bank that could accomodate me? Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭DubCount

You are far more likely to get a mortgage from an Italian Bank on an Italian property. An Irish bank will not want to get involved in repossessing an Italian property if you default etc. Besides, Irish banks are not known for super low interest rates. I'd see if you could find a local mortgage broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭phormium

Not really unless you have an Irish property to borrow against and even then it would probably be difficult. For example back in Tiger days lots of people borrowed against the imagined equity in their homes here to buy places abroad, didn't go well for many!

An Irish bank is not going to give you a mortgage and take a property outside the state as security, too much hassle for them.

Advertisement