Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy rock & fence posts

Options
  • 07-04-2022 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I have to put up a load of fence posts on very heavy ground. You could call it seams of rock under the soil, not just boulders or rocks you can break and dig out, it's worse than that. I've no access for a digger and the bog standard kango drills I've used, while they will do the job, are extremely laborious. They slide off and then you're working to get an angle and then when you do it's chipping out tiny bits at a time. I'll be doing this until Christmas at this rate.

I might be able to work in a mini-digger but before I spend more money is there any handheld breaker you reckon would do the job well? A 2000-AVR maybe?

Ideally I want to get down 2 feet and cement the posts in then when I do. Bind the whole lot to the rock.

Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is it solid enough to drill into for bolts or rebar? If on the surface you could use bolt in fence post holders, if deeper you could pour mini piers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

I gave up on this in my ground. Ended up digging out a hole around the rock and dumping in concrete, then fixing the posts to the concrete. Still upright after two years anyway, plus if the timber rots (and it shouldn't) it's a very easy matter to just swap out rather than dig out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

A diamond core bit might be a bit excessive and expensive, but have you thought of a ring beam?

With posts every 1.5 or 2 meters.

Advertisement