Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

123Go Feedback

Options
  • 06-04-2022 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

Has anyone here used 123GO car insurance with a black box? I'm considering this mainly because no one else wants to give me a quote so I don't have a choice really. I know they monitor speed, smoothness, etc. But is this policy fair? I heard from friends in the UK that some insurers rig their black boxes to make it look like you drive too aggressively and subsequently either cancel the policy or give other penalties...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

UK seem to have lots of reports of impossible results like doing 120mph in a tiny 30mph stretch of road driving a 1 litre Corsa. If you were comfortable with the minitoring and were of a mind to be able to technically challenge results which are clearly false then it may be worth going with, personally if I had other options I wouldn't go with this even if difference was 40-50%. If you get 1 year under your belt with this plenty of other insurers should be available for year 2.

I wouldn't say the boxes are 'rigged', more so when GPS coverage for some reason or another is sketchy and alerts are reported back to them they do little actual investigating to see if the offence was realistically possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Doncor

I wish I had another option - I'm a safe driver, but I hate being tracked... well, seems like I need to have it for a year then. Do you know if it's possible to remove the box later? 123 say it's deactivated and there's no need to remove, but I'd be more comfortable with removing altogether after a year.

Tried like a dozen companies, no one wants to insure Audi A5 :(

M

Have you tried some brokers, they may be able to source cover for you. With the A5, they will probably look for full no claims and be over 25 depending in the engine. I'd assume the blackbox is hardwired in to the fusebox for a power source like a professional would fit a dashcam, should just be a case of disconnecting it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Doncor

I'm 27 and it's 1.8 petrol (the slowest A5). Where/how would I find brokers? Is it just searching on the internet "car insurance brokers"?

M

• Advertisement
Advertisement