Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving oil boiler

Options
  • 06-04-2022 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi folks..

I may have to move my outdoor oil boiler a bit further away from the house . At the moment it's about 6' away from the house in a small shed.

I want to move it to about 25' away and in its own boiler house .

Is it ok to do this ?

Would there be much heat loss? ( it's a small house with 8 rads.)

If it can be done should pipework be under or over ground back to the house.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

It’s definitely possible and ok to do it. Underground would be fine and you can purchase special insulated pipe which is very expensive per metre, but probably the best option.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

`Why not butt it up against the wall of the house?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Had to do this at our house last summer as we built on a bit. The insulated pipe is damn expensive - around €500 IIRC at the time for I think for around 15m or 20m.

Günstig Uponor EcoflThermoPRO Twin 2X32X2,9 7738331314, € 79,31 (heiz24.de) <<< stuff like that.

We ran ours well underground, around 2ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭me4many

Thank you for comments..

Good to know it can be done.

Are those galvanised enclosures good or is it better to build a small block boilerhouse ?

It would be best butted against the house but just not suitable..

That insulated pipe looks the biz alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I was told a few years ago that for every foot a boiler is from the house it loses 1% of heat... personally i have not a clue but have the boiler house in the house... just took small area off utility and back door toilet to create space... had a bit of difficulty getting the blocklayer to change but it works great...

Those galvanised enclosures are really good. Just install them correctly to keep vermin out. They damage the insulation.

i would never have thought of vermin... keep out poison??

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I had mine about 25ft away and then upgraded and attached to the wall of the house.

The difference in efficiency was unbelievable. Part was down to the new boiler, but plumber said I was losing about 25% underground even with a good insulated pipe.

Insulation only works if it kept dry. I've seen loads of Insulation on those pipes and just thrown straight into the ground. I've also seen good jobs where sewer pipe was used to cover the Insulation, but it must be kept sealed from water ingress.

• Advertisement

I'm having another look to see if there is enough space along the house to butt up a galvanised enclosure. Windows and doors all seem to be in the way. Maybe I could have it plumbed with exhaust pipe going vertical above window or even gutter level.? Would you know the dimensions of those enclosures?

Thanks again..

Dimentions for the Grant above. It's very neat and the one that I recommend first.

You can get a plume kit to take gasses away from windows, doors, vents etc. Bear in mind that you'll need to pipe the condensate away properly too.

I often wondered about that... is it possible to have 2x25 copper pipes underground insulated and dry in Ireland.

Do you mean putting the two pipes in a 100 mm plastic and filling with foam insulation... i just like to know...

The ones that I mostly saw done were done with that dark grey pipe foam insulation that comes in about 1 metre lengths. (Sometimes more than one layer of it and 6" pipe used) This is also the way I've done some of them myself. They are then inserted into the 4 or 6" wavin and any joints sealed with the proper joiner and sealing rubber rings. The a bend (mostly 45°) and a little extra pipe if needed to come out of the trench into a water proofed area such as the boiler house and hot-press. This is even easier to do nowadays with the introduction of flexible pipes, though those cannot be used close to the boiler and a short length of copper is needed there.

Thank you for that.. That housing is really neat. I didn't realise they would be that small. I'll be out again with my measuring tape.

Tkx

Advertisement