Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Albums that are underrated

• 06-04-2022 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭

There are some albums I think are really good, but are mostly panned by the critics and even fans. 3 that spring to mind are Oasis - Be Here Now, The Killers - Day and Age, Mumford and sons - Wilder Mind. And in case of Oasis and Killers I think after those albums mentioned above their output turned to mostly crap. Most bands seem to start great, then run out of ideas but keep going as it’s a job, but churn out poor enough material compared to their early work, eg Oasis, Arctic Monkeys, Stereophonics. Then some bands start off crap but develop into something good such as Coronas. I suppose bands that are more wild fall into former while those that are intellectual fall into later categories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Heathen Chemistry - Oasis

Know Your Enemy - Manic Street Preachers

Pablo Honey - Radiohead

Rather Ripped - Sonic Youth

Bossanova - Pixies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Bossanova is my favourite Pixies album. Side 1 is my favourite side by anyone ever.

Lifeblood is the underrated Manics record for me.

More of my favourite under the radar LPs

Queen - Hot Space

Elton John - Rock Of The Westies

The Replacements - All Shook Down

Husker Du - Warehouse: Songs & Stories

Fatima Mansions - Lost In The Former West

Dexys Midnight Runners - Don't Stand Me Down

The Style Council - The Cost Of Loving

The Fall - I Am Kurious Oranj

ABC - Beauty Stab

The Charlatans - Between 10th & 11th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Kiss - The Elder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I'd say Monster by R.E.M. from 1994 was under rated. It followed the global smash albums of Out of Time from 1991 and Automatic For The People in 1992, and it threw people. It sounded different. It wasn't the type of music that rocketed them to top of the mainstream. But it holds up really well. Some great songs on it that I still love today, "Circus Envy", "Tongue", "Bang and Blame" to name a few.

I think a lot of artists that release samey-samey kinda music, safe, sticking to their fanbase, often have great albums overlooked because people are disinterested in hearing more of the same stuff. Case in point would be "Graffiti on the Train" by Stereophonics from about 2013. Or Black Ice by AC/DC from 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle.

Had they stayed together after its release I think it'd be widely mentioned among the great albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It kind of is but perhaps not to the extent that it should be.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Every single album by Sparks (maybe not Balls or Plagiarism)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Joffrey

I'd have to go with

Strangers With Guns - Degenerate Art

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

Queens of the Stone Age - Self Titled

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Electronic - Electronic

New Order - Republic

Simply Red - Picture Book

Suzanne Vega - Days of Open Hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Pixies - Bossanova. It's right up there with Doolittle and Surfer Rosa, and has some of their best songs.

Celtic Frost - Into the Pandemonium. The first metal album to really experiment with sounds outside of the genre and pick apart stereotypes. Cue new-wave covers, industrial beats, orchestras, and general weirdness.

Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devotion. It's dark and gritty, and not held in as high regard as Violator. But it's nearly just as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Bossanova is brilliant. My favourite Pixies album. I rank Surfer Rosa #2 and Trompe Le Monde #3. Side 1 of Bossanova is the best side by anyone ever while the single mix of Dig For Fire is my favourite song of theirs. I saw them live in the National Stadium on that tour (1 October 1990), fantastic night.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Delta Machine - Depeche Mode

New Adventures in HiFi - REM

Gorgeous George - Edwyn Collins

True Stories - Talking Heads

House of Love (Butterfly Album) - House of Love

Watershed - GW McLennan

None of these are the best known output from the respective artists (Collins more famous from his Orange Juice days) , but they're strong albums.

Some classics there.

New Adventures In HiFi is wonderful; gets better each year.

True Stories is my fourth favourite Talking Heads album (after Remain, Speaking and Fear)

The House Of Love's Fontana era finally got recognised with a great box set earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

New Adventures is brilliant. The likes of Leave, E-Bow, So Fast So Numb .. Ah, great album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

The Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust

Chris De Burgh - Spanish Train

Passengers Soundtrack to watch movies by - Brian Eno and U2

Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak. - massively underrated, if you haven't do it now, it is great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,727 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

lots of praise for side 1 of the Pixies "Bossanova" here, and rightly so as it's pretty much flawless, but I think side 2 is quite weak by comparison. Whereas "Doolittle" is strong from start to finish. If any Pixies album is underrated it's "Trompe Le Monde"

My own nomination is Television's 2nd album "Adventure". Their debut "Marquee Moon" is considered one of the best of all time and "Adventure" gets a bit forgotten but it's also a terrific album (their 3rd album from when they reformed in the 90s is also pretty good).

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Probably not so much underrated, but rather "who???" . The people are obviously unaware of your sartorial elegance , and your crowd interaction skills. as can be seen below

A more widely known artist with an underrated album: Alanis Morisette. Her 3rd album Under Rug Swept is her peak , in my opinion. After her 2nd album didnt match up to the hype of the first one, she really dropped off the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭rpirl

'Villains' by The Verve Pipe... v. good album from a "bad" genre [Post-Grunge]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭jucko

danzig 1

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think Frank by Amy Winehouse is better than Back to Black

Advertisement