Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Wholesale "to the public" Dublin Butchers

Options
  • 05-04-2022 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

What's the best value folks? In particular thinking cheaper cuts of meat, BBQ size Pork Shoulder, Offal, etc?

I see lots of these "meat repackers" masquerading as Butchers selling prepacked stuff. Some food 😁 for thought below. Thoughts?

O'Mahony Meats

Spring valley

Higgins

James Whelan ( pricey)

Dublin Meat Company ( non irish chicken)

Jim Brady ( Farmers Market )

Any good value I may have missed ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭neris

Not wholesale just a decent butchers Higgins at Sutton Cross

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I would never include Higgins in a good value butcher guide. The meat in Higgins is the best you can get but it is priced accordingly!

I’ve always found O’Mahony Meat good value.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

There's still a distinction between the smaller craft butchers versus direct-to-customer farm businesses, although the line is blurring.

Higgins is a craft butcher, albeit they only work with one abattoir and a small number of suppliers. James Whelans is doing the same thing on a sightly larger scale.

O'Mahony Meats is the next step up, they've gone from being a butcher shop to growing into a factory on an industrial premises.

But then you have the likes of Donabate Dexter that are doing the whole thing from start to finish. So their farm is still in Donabate, they've got their own herd, own pigs, own chicken etc. And have then gone to butchering and selling direct.

What is 'value' is hard to say. I use Higgins, James Whelan, FXB and Donabate Dexter and they all provide a quality product at a price reflective of the quality.

I think it just depends what you want.

Higgins does the best dry-aged beef in the country and import meat from the likes of Snake River Farms in the U.S, and Kobe, Japan, that you just won't get elsewhere.

FXB I regularly buy things like ribeye and smoked brisket burgers from, and they also do a lot of offerings at the lower price point end of the market too. It's possible to get things from them like a whole suckling pig if you want.

James Whelan still do a good range of stuff. I've had good pork shoulders from them, and I like that they do things like pre-packed skirt steak / bavette etc.

Donabate Dexter do very good larger beef and pork cuts - brisket, shoudler etc. I'd be less keen on their burgers and sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I find sometimes in these places e.g. Dublin Meat Company if you veer away from the pre-prepped burger packs and chicken fillets the prices aren't great. For example their fillet steak is 11.50 for 10 oz or €41/kg - the finest/high end supermarket ranges would be a good bit lower and even some "craft" butchers might have it for a bit less.

I think they go on the basis that you go in for the cheaper chicken fillets and rashers, burgers etc. and maybe pick up a few of the pricier bits too to beef up their margin (pun intended! :D)

Advertisement