Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil level ok? Passat 2008

Options
  • 05-04-2022 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

just checked my oil level, new car (2008 Passat 1.9 TDI), is this level ok, it seems it might be a little high, also is the dark colour ok for a diesel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

It's hard to see the min/max marks in the pic but assuming it's the two holes or dimples the level looks OK to me anyway, maybe very slightly high but I doubt it will be an issue. Was the car on level ground at the time? Oil in a diesel engine goes black almost immediately, so you can't tell much about it's age by looking at it. Unless you know when the oil and filter was last changed I'd personally get it done just for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Captain Kidd

Thanks, I really appreciate you getting back to me, I contacted the dealer who said oil was changed 1,000km ago so that’s good to know, I’m going to maybe get it changed again in 5,000km. And yes the car was on level ground. Just to add, when the oil drops below the full mark I should top it up? I bought a litre bottle of 5W/30 to have on hand, is topping up a common thing to need to do?

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

If the engine is good and and not smokey it is unlikely to need top-up between service... my car is an import a couple of years newer than yours and the oil change intervals every 10,000 MILES... don't be wasting money...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Captain Kidd

Than for adding that, no smoke so far 👍🏼

Advertisement