Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I know if my Landlord isn't ripping me off re: energy prices

Options
  • 05-04-2022 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Okay okay we all know that the energy prices are rising. I know it's not my landlord's fault. I know.

But 170 for the month of March where we hardly turned on the heater AT ALL? Really? That seems absurd to me even with current prices. Mind you we live with 2 people in a not very large apartment.

Now, I have no way to check if the bills that my landlord gives me are accurate. I also know that this building has 5 more apartments, so maybe the people upstairs are turning on the heater 24/7 and it's divided. But in the hallway there are separate energy meters for each apartment so that seems not to be it.

I once asked for the original bills for tax declaration. Then I got a vague stack of handwritten notes. I was expecting to get something from ESB or from whatever electricity company my landlord has on this building, but no.

What are my legal rights to get access to the ORIGINAL bills?

Note that I am in an ' illegal' tenancy. I pay the landlord in cash. In the past my apartment wasn't listed on the RTB, now the entire building is listed and not the individual apartments. Landlord refuses payment via bank transfer which to me indicates he is avoiding taxes. However I have learned that getting your rent in cash is not actually illegal in Republic of Ireland so I literally can't do anything about it.

No I wont ' just move' because anywhere else in dublin would be more expensive than here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Note that I am in an ' illegal' tenancy. I pay the landlord in cash.  No I wont ' just move' because anywhere else in dublin would be more expensive than here. What are my legal rights to get access to the ORIGINAL bills?

Zero. Rights are for people who the right thing. Not ones who are complicit in tax evasion.

Its a legal maxim, He Who Comes into Equity Must Come with Clean Hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

There is no law in Ireland that states that it is illegal to ren from a landlord that doesn't register the tenancy with the RTB.

It is only illegal for the landlord not to register it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

You said Note that I am in an ' illegal' tenancy.

I never said it was illegal, i said you are facilitating tax fraud. I suggest you google "He Who Comes into Equity Must Come with Clean Hands." it explains why courts don't like to help people who do the wrong thing then seek a legal remedy. its relevant because you asked what are your legal rights. I'm not having a go off you, im explaining a legal maxim.

As you noted everyone's bills are higher. But if you asked me if you can trust a tax cheater at his word that he is splitting the bills equitably .. i would say a leopard doesn't change its spots.

'I am facilitating tax fraud'

No I am not. I am in a tenancy that is 'illegal' in the sense that it is not properly RTB registered. That is not a crime here in Ireland.

I am not going to Google what you say there unless you are referring to a specific law here in the republic of ireland where I live.

'Courts don't like to help people who do the wrong thing' I am not doing anything illegal under irish law.

'I am explaining a legal maxim' so far you failed to quote anything in Irish law.

'You are a tax cheater', no I am not. My landlord is a tax cheater.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It isn't legal for anyone who isn't a CRU registered energy provide to resell power at anything but the price they paid for it. Actual bills will need to be provided.

I suspect they have sub-meters rather than an actual networks meter for each flat; and are dividing the main bill by what those meters are showing - but could easily be adding a margin for themselves, which they cannot do.

• Advertisement

How can I demand the original bills in such a case? ESB?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

From the landlord. They need to prove that they are not an illegal reseller of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

If the meter is in the hall, simply take a reading yourself every week, add in standing charges and vat and then compare it to what you are being charged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭KildareP

You can't, ultimately. Even if you found out who the supplier is, they won't speak to you because the account isn't in your name. Chances are the landlord, in whose name the account is likely to be held, isn't going to give them to you either.

You don't have any rights because, as you say, your tenancy isn't legally registered, thus, the entities to whom you could normally complain don't recognise your tenancy to be able to take any action on your behalf.

Sure, you could land him in it by reporting his activities but since you've no legal tenancy he can kick you out in retaliation or, in the event he loses the property, whoever takes it over has no tenancy agreement mandating them to allow you stay in your current apartment and can kick you out themselves.

You can complain to the RTB whether a tenancy is registered or not

Kicking someone out for doing so is an illegal eviction, whether a tenancy is registered or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement