Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal blinds to keep a room cool in summer

Options
  • 04-04-2022 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭

Our bedroom window faces south west and the room gets very very hot in the summer as a result and we are already begininng to notice it.

I dont want to go to the lengths of putting up shutters but am thinking thermal blinds might be a way to go?

Has anyone any experience of this? The windows are triple glazed, so i'm more interested in keeping the heat out than in, would these help or make it worse? Would i be better sticking with black out roller blinds or something? The black out curtain is too far from the glass I think and it seems to be letting the heat build up so ideally i'd like something closer to the glass.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

We use curtains with blackout lining. Works very well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I have a large triple-glazed window (1.4 x 1.6m) which is South facing and my office can overheat in the summer.

I found a standard roller-blind is sufficient to control it in my case. But if I was to go further I would use a IR reflective blind as this would reflect the radiant energy back through the glass. Just bear in mind that most newer windows have a reflective foil on the inner-side of the external pane, meaning that heat get trapped internally for cooler climates rather than reflected back externally (the inverse of what you would have in Texas, for example).

Advertisement