Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you stand out in a group viewing?

Options
  • 04-04-2022 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Anyone have any tips on how to stand out a viewing or on renting in general? Have been renting for almost 10 years and looking to move to Wicklow for work but it's seeming impossible. Just myself and my partner, both have very good jobs, rent not an issue, non smokers, no pets, both super clean and not into partying or anything and would take great care of a propety. We have excellent references but feel we're being fobbed off at viewings (possibly because of our age, we're in our late 20s and competing with older couples). We have tried Facebook groups, reaching out to estate agents directly, responding to every ad on daft. I know we're not alone and the market is shocking, but can anyone see anything glaringly obvious we're missing or share any tips?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

The colour red has been proven to make you more attractive to onlookers, so my suggestion is that you wear exclusively red clothing. At the very least, you might land yourself a wealthy estate agent and be able to afford a bigger house.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Bring deposit and 3 months rent with you. In cash. And let them know and make a point of showing it to them and say you are ready to hand over and sign and move in immediately if it suited them. Bring evidence of your job such as tax credit cert and a payslip. Bring them in paper - it is easier for an agent to see rather than fiddling around with pdfs on phones or sending whatsapps.

As the saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Turn up in costume. That will get you noticed. Perhaps batman and Robin.

Then have your file ready. References, wage slips etc. Build a rapport with the agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I would have a page to hand them with the details that the landlord is not allowed to ask you without being fined.

eg where you work, how much you earn etc.

Also have contact details of your previous few landlords and written references.

Make it easy for the landlord to choose you without having to tip toe around you asking vague questions so they wont be fined

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭RINO87

So just walk around with 5K in your pocket? Good advice.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

Im a professional landlord .. iv been renting places since 2004..

it was very different back then . when you would put up an add on daft and get 1 reply every few days , i recently rented a place in clondalkin and i had over 200 replies in 3 hours ..

Its very Difficult to "pick" a person .. some people have awful stories on how they were forced to move .. and were on the verge of being homeless... but you still need someone good in your house and someone you can trust..

the Girl i did "pick" arrived on time .. dressed well ,spoke well was friendly and confident , had all the HAP forms ready to go , references ready and had the deposit ready to go ... she seemed very organized.

you would be surprised at the amount of emails that i received that were along the lines of " howya pal is de gaff stil aviabaile , i can knock round der L8R fur a viewn"....

ive never asked someone for proof of wages or what they earn . i would feel cringe doing that ,

sometimes you just get a good feeling about someone and in over 18 years ive only had 1 bad experience with a tenant.. the girl i interviewed was fine everything checked out ,and all was good until her BF got out of prison moved in and built a bomb in the garage and blew up an estate agents ..police/army the lot were called ..... was all over the news at the time ... anyway !!...

best of luck in your search

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Kathnora

Excellent advice! Renters need to be organised and have all their paperwork ready and proof of ability to pay the deposit, references etc. I can only imagine the nightmare it must be for landlords in choosing tenants. Good organisation along with a friendly and professional manner can save a lot of time and hassle. This kind of advice needs to be put out there on all types of media. The "howya pal, is the gaff available" brigade need to cop themselves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

thanks ! .. getting someone in is easy, getting someone good in is hard .. and getting someone bad out is impossible ...

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Agree with the above (1) come organised have hard copies, having a LL squinting at your phone is not good (2) Don't be over confident (3) Appear organised with regard to info LL is looking for (4) Have a good reason WHY you want the property i.e. closer to work vs the rent is cheaper!!! (5) lot of propective tenants say "will treat it like my own" to me this turns me of a tenant rather they just mentioned the words "respect" & "care"

Advertisement