Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vintage Tax

Options
  • 01-04-2022 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

My car is 1992, registered in August 92.

Do I have to wait until August to change it to Vintage Tax?

Thanks,

Liam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I’ve switched all mine to vintage based on manufacture date, not registration date. Some councils seem to have totally varying ideas on when it should be done, but the statute mentioning ZV plate eligibility specifically states 30 years from manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

No! All of my classics were swapped over to Vintage on week one of the 30th year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

It seems to be hit and miss. I was told that since Jan last year, it didn't make any difference when it was registered in the year, it was eligible for vintage tax from Jan 1 of that year. But I've seen posts where for some people that was not the case. As kdevitt says, it seems to be dependant on each county council.

All I can tell you is, a couple of years ago I tried to reclassify mine as vintage as date of manufacture, but my local tax office refused saying it was date of registration, despite their website saying otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

It seems to be 30 years from date of manufacture, and all CoCo websites I've checked say so. The problem is none quote the relevant legislation that controls it, and to make matters worse the RSA website says a vehicle becomes vintage after 30y from first registration.

This is how vintage vehicles are defined in some other regulation (S.I. No. 281/2014)

"vintage vehicles” means historic vehicles, or vehicles of value to collectors, or vehicles intended for museums, for which a period of 30 years or more has elapsed since such vehicles were first registered and which are kept in a proper and environmentally sound manner, either ready for use or stripped into parts.

The left hand has no idea what the right one is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

i did this last year and if you are doing it in Dublin itwill be 30 years from registration. Not manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The legislation unfortunately states '30 years of age', which is where the confusion seems to arise for the tax offices. As I mentioned above, the legislation on being eligible for ZV plates does state 30 years since manufacture - so its clearly the intention. I've never had a problem switching to vintage on anniversary of manufacture, and I'm in Dublin.

As someone else mentioned above - seems to be an increasing number of people who are doing the switchover on the year of manufacture only - so week one of the 30th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

Got my car moved over today (finally...) - took all of 30 minutes in Meath CoCo. It was based on date of manufacture (July 1993).

Can't understand why this can't be done online.

Advertisement