Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect 50mm (1.5") mdpe pipe to philmac pipe

Options
  • 01-04-2022 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭

I need to extend the pipe running from a septic tank pump, by a few meters. The pipe in question is black water pipe, somewhat flexible, and is 1.5" (50mm) in diameter. It resembles the .5 inch pipe used out here in farm country (West Kerry) but it's larger diameter

I have used Philmac connections like this one to repair the 1.5" pipe in the past:

My problem is, I cannot find the black water pipe in that diameter pretty much anywhere. None of the plumbers, nor plumbing suppliers or anyone seem to have it, and I've made a number of calls to outfits in Dublin, Donegal, Cork, ... One supplier thought the black 1.5" water pipe had been discontinued.

I might be able to obtain a few meters of the blue MDPE pipe in the same diameter. Can I use that pipe with the connector above (this is the heavy gauge connector, I have the 'normal gauge' one)? I have the red inserts that go with the black water pipe, do I need the white MDPE insert with the MDPE pipe?

Thank you.

Comments

Advertisement