Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mildew type covering on front composite door handle - how to treat?

Options
  • 01-04-2022 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My north facing composite front door handle has what looks like some kind of blue/green mildew all over it. Has anyone seen this before please and know what is the best treatment for it thanks?

Any advice welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That looks like the brass-effect coating is wearing off allowing the metal under it to oxidise.

Replacement might be the only fix for the bright-work.

Are you near the sea? If so ask about more durable finishes. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Thanks for the quick reply and advice, no not near the sea at all. I was hoping it would be fixable ☹️ The front letter box is not great either as you can see ☹️ This started happening a couple of years after the new door was installed, I would have expected it to have a more durable finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not mildew, as said above, it's the copper in the brass plating that's corroding and causing that blue-green colouration. You might be able to temporarily improve the look slightly with some good quality metal polish, but long-term I'd start looking at a replacement.

Cheers Alun, that makes sense alright, thanks for the feedback, looks like a replacement is probably the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The problem is that there's a lacquer coating to stop the brass tarnishing and needing constant polishing, plus it's not solid brass anyway so polishing it would rapidly result in the plating wearing away. The lacquer pits, moisture gets in and you get corrosion. It's particularly prevalent in coastal areas but other airborne pollution can probably cause pitting as well, such as soot from wood / coal fires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd guess that the letterbox is extruded aluminium with the copper/brass plating on top. It suffers from that type of surface bloom/oxidation which creeps under the layers. As Alun says, if you touch it, it will all fall away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭jack of all

+1 on above, you can get a powder coated fittings that may prove more resistant to oxidation, or look at PVD brass, but may not be available to suit your door.

Cheers for all of the feedback, it's VERY much appreciated!

Advertisement