Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

end of life options

Options
  • 01-04-2022 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

unfortunately it's coming to the time to consider putting our dog to sleep. he's 14, and his back legs have nearly given up completely on him. i don't think he's in pain yet. would anyone know what options would be available? I can't see him being strong enough to take up to the vets, and I would be too upset to take him up. I would like him to be put to sleep here at home surrounded by his family.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Baybay

I’m so sorry to hear it’s almost time to part company with your loyal pal.

Speak to your vet about the kindest thing to do. A friend had the vet come to her house when it was time for her dog to say her goodbyes. That might be an option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

I've no knowledge to pass on but wish to extend my sympathy to you and your family. In one article I read it's stated the pet will feel more secure being among family when it comes to end of life. I wish you the very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Sorry to hear about your dog OP. I’d give the vet a call and arrange for them to come out or at least get some pain relief for him until you think it’s time. (Dogs with arthritis and spinal issues are most definitely in pain)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

If ur dog is eating, going to the toilet and pottering around they it may not be end of life now.. however all dogs with hip / joints issues are in pain .. they just hide it very well

call your vet ask for a home visit .. get ur dog seen by a vet along with pain relief and seek advice from ur vet

if it is in fact coming to this time of his life the vet can arrange a home euthanasia or recommend a vet who can

we said goodbye to our guy at home.. best thing for him x

• Registered Users Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes, arranging a house call for the final step made a huge difference for us, both pet and humans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 ms_wobbly

thank you to all who took the time to comment on my post, our beautiful dog passed away peacefully in his sleep over the weekend, we are heartbroken beyond words.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh @ms_wobbly I'm so sorry for you loss. I know that heartbreak only too well and it is just so, so tough.

Please take a bit of comfort in the fact that he chose his time and place and it sounds like a peaceful passing for your boy. That's all I've ever wanted for our numerous pets.

Mind yourselves and may your beautiful boy sleep tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Take so much solace that you didn’t have to make the decision. We came within hours of it and 7 years on it means so much to me that we didn’t have to

It doesn’t feel like it just now but it gets better, that said for me it got worse in the initial days because it’s like a dream then you wake up a couple of days later and it’s really after happening. Literally the vet told us there was nothing they could do and he died 4 hours later.

Advertisement