Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ANOTHER Insurance Question

Options
  • 31-03-2022 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭

And no, its not the "how many interneteurodollarbucks will i have to pay to get my sooooper dooooper bike insured, i'm 17 and havent done an ibt, just driven around a lidl carpark"one

My wife is a named driver on my car policy, and recently she inadvertently carried out a bit of structural modifications to a wall in the driveway. I've claimed on the car insurance to get the car all sorted, no issue there.

My bike is on a separate policy, through CN. When it comes around to renewal time and they ask the "Have you had any claims in the last 5 years" question, does that relate to JUST the bike or does it relate to both policies?

I know i can ring CN and not give too many details (like who i am etc) and ask the question, but I figured some of you might know the answer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well, unless you have bonus protection, then your car insurance bonus is modified anyway.

I've had it the other way 'round, where I had a bike claim and when I told my car insurer, they said it didn't affect my car policy (and both were with the same insurer at the time, AXA). I didn't dare disagree.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

thanks for that galwaytt

I’ve got step back protection, so I still have 8 years no claims on the car next time out. Even though they only could 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

The question is "have you had ANY claims in the last 5 years?", the important piece there is the word any. Technically you should answer "yes" to this as it does not specify the type of insurance policy that claim was on.

AXA may have a different reading of that question to what CN will have, so I think you'll need to pick up the phone to get an answer unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

You are technically obliged to tell them as the question isn't have you or anyone on your policy had a bike accident/claim.

Might make 0 difference but might change your premium. Insurance companies love getting out of claims because of failure to disclose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I was thinking the best thing is to be straight up with them... if it costs a few quid so be it. Last thing i need is to have something happen with the bike and the insurance not pay out cos i'd not been open with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Yeah, dont give them an excuse to wriggle out of a potential future claim for the sake of a cheaper quote now. It might make no difference to the quote but always best to err on the side of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If there's any increase in your premium, you know who to pass the bill on to 😁

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement