Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foldable Outdoor table

Options
  • 30-03-2022 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I'm looking for ideas on how to secure legs to a table top so I can fold it away in the winter.

I plan on using 4 x 4 for the legs and a hinge to fold the legs lengthways but how could I secure the legs when in place?

Would some kind of a bolt through the legs, into the frame of the tabletop work?

Or is there some kind of a click clack fitting I could get that the legs would slot into.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

4 x 4 seems very chunky for a foldable table.

Do you have any dimensions for the table?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Thanks for replying policarp.

No I've no plans as such.

I was going to use 3 x 3 but local builders supplier only does 4 x 4.

I want an outdoor large dining table that will fit 8

So thought I'd just make a rectangle frame, screw boards (2 x 4?) across the top of the frame and attach the legs underneath.

Because it's so big, I need to be able to take it down to store it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hinged legs splayed out, gravity will stabilize?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

I got one of these in Homestore and More, and it's ideal .... sturdy and neat and folds flat. It fits 8 easily.

(In case you decide to take an easy way out 😊.)

I got a nice oil-cloth tablecloth for it so it looks good too.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you're only going to take it down once a year then presumably just making it easy to take the legs off is also an option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I thought of that, but how would I stabilise the legs?

A couple of metal brackets screwed in and just remove when taking down?

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I’d do something like that yea. Be easier to stabilise than hinges, unless you have a locking mechanism the table could collapse if bumped into which could be dangerous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Or two smaller tables you hook together, like do you need the big table all the time or some of the time

Advertisement