Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a Visa before Applying to work in Canada?

Options
  • 29-03-2022 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hear me out. So I've recently looked into the possibility of emigrating to Canada for work at a certain company once positions open at a good time.

I do meet the minumum requirements for applying for a visa, but what I am wondering is as an Irish and EU citizen, is it an absolute that I have to have a working visa before even applying to companies over there? Or let's just say, being an Irish/EU citizen, is it possible to get a job, land there with an Irish passport and get entry into Canada and apply for a visa or residency while working there?

Just considering either scenario, what would my options be or the best course of action as I am very unfamiliar with how Irish emigrating to Canada works exactly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/need-work-permit-work.html should help answer your question.

More likely than not you will need a visa to work in Canada. Some jobs will ask at the application stage if you are authorised to work in Canada so I'd look to get a visa sorted before applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

You can apply for work and travel for interviews without a work permit. You can even enter Canada to find work without a work permit. Generally if a Canadian company is hiring you, they would be responsible for arranging work permit. There are some options for getting a work permit yourself, International Experience Canada (IEC) is probably the most common of these options.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Seabhac14

Thanks guys. I've been looking at a lot more sources and I think I'm starting to make heads and tails of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

A friend of mine was telling me he applied for Canadian citizenship the other day- just wondering if this is likely as I know they have cancer (recurring and seems pretty serious from anything they told me). Obviously wish them well but this seems fairly fanciful to me especially as they’re getting treatment here in Ireland on going. I think they just want to run away from it all (understandably)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DirectorKrennic

Hi all,

I've lived in Canada and am a Canadian Permanent Resident. While you might be able to visit/land in Canada with a tourist visa you won't be able to start any job without the appropriate visa because you need a 'SIN number.' SIN stands for social security number but people just say 'SIN number.' From experience, Canadian employers will prefer if you have a legal right to work in Canada as the process for applying to activation can take a few months.

I hope this helps! (Ps Canada is an incredible country to live in).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Pretty sure they'd have to do a medical as part of the citizenship process.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Advertisement