Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lonely Planet: Dublin to Madrid by Train

Options
  • 29-03-2022 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

What a shame they don't mentioned that the train station at Rosslare Harbour was deliberately moved away from the ferry terminal and timetables changed to not connect with the trains as an attempt by Irish Rail management to kill the lines off leading to the ferry terminal (which they did to one). I will never forget about 20 years ago the Irish Rail CEO on RTE telling foot ferry passengers to 'use the bus instead' - the boss of a rail company no less.

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/travel/2022/0329/1289073-lonely-planet-names-dublin-in-list-of-europes-top-train-journeys/

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bit more of a problem than Irish Rail here - Brittany Ferries don't take foot or pushbike passengers!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭sudocremegg

I feel like the people who write these articles do absolutely zero research and have never even done the journey themselves. Maybe just looked at a map and wrote up a BS article to meet some quota for their boss.

The best one I ever saw was about 2 years ago, that article about how the train from Waterford to Limerick was being touted as the most scenic rail tour in Ireland, or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why is this day and age is that acceptable? Is it a money saving measure not having to deal with foot or bicycle passengers?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the vessel and ports don't have passenger doors and matching linkspans/walkways you need to arrange buses which are a capital and operating cost that a few extra passengers won't cover.

Even using walkways has some operational cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭cml387

I watched a youtube video recently of a Scottish guy taking the night ferry from Dublin Port to Holyhead.

He was a foot passenger and there were actually signs forbidding pedestrians from the approach to the port. (I suppose he could have taken the bus).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Could it not be made a licensing or some sort of operational requirement that all ferry operators and ports put the facilities in place to take foot passengers in order to maintain a route.

Not a lot of licencing requirements can be put on intra-EU international routes; and for marginal routes they'd just leave anyway.

Advertisement