Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ultimate Cell (Hydrogen)

Options
  • 29-03-2022 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Has anybody tried this product?

Technology (ultimatecell.pt)

My local mechanic has just started fitting these. From what I have found, it is the brain-child of an Irish guy (based in Kerry) and is manufactured in Portugal. Claims up to 30% fuel savings and 80% drop in emissions. First article I can find is from 2014.

My gut tells me that if this product is around since 2014 and delivers its claims then it would be fitted to all ICE cars and trucks as standard by now!

Anybody have any experience of these?

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Yes i fitted one to my unicorn and it greatly reduced the amount of fairy dust coming out of its arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'd be interested to hear from someone who has actually tried something like this, but it just sounds like pure snake oil...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

as a certain Mr DeBurgh once said.....

♫ don't pay the kerryman don't even fix a price ♫ 

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where do you fill up on hydrogen?

and don't fuel cells need to operate at ~400C?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sounds like a load of pseudoscience BS.....

Ultimate Cell version 3.0 is a dynamic and smart hydrogen production system. It is designed to produce hydrogen in response to driver throttle commands. The amount of hydrogen produced and injected into the engine, through its air inlet pipe, is constantly changing to best match the speed of the vehicle and its engine’s load. Hence delivering excellent optimization at all engine’s rpm measures.

How does it 'produce' hydrogen? The only way it can do this is to take water molecules from the air or liquid water from an onboard tank and separate the H2O molecules into two atoms of hydrogen and one atom of oxygen. But this process requires energy (supplied by the user) and, even if this gadget is 100% efficient, you'd only be getting as much energy back from burning the hydrogen as you used to produce it in the first place. Given that 100% efficiency is in the realm of perpetual motion, no such device could work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

They're trying hard to make it sound like it's a hydrogen fuel cell, but it's not. A fuel cell works by converting the chemical energy in hydrogen into electricity that then runs the vehicle's electric motor.

This yoke supposedly contains an unspecified "electrolyte" liquid that undergoes electrolysis (passing DC electricity through it), thus releasing hydrogen gas from the liquid that then gets mixed with the air going into a regular combustion engine - supposedly enriching the air. So the claims that they're making are really that is improves the combustion process in an ICE.

You can actually make hydrogen gas with just water and a battery, so that bit of their claim (that it produces hydrogen gas) is believable. They claim that their electrolyte is a "strong alkaline solution", but don't say exactly what is is. You get it topped up by their certified installers, which I assume just involves filling a tank in this yoke back up with the mystery liquid. As to whether adding hydrogen to the air intake is as efficacious as they claim, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Cordell

Second law of thermodynamics prevent all these devices from functioning - yes, you can produce hydrogen on demand but you will spend more energy to produce it than you get back from burning it. And you are burning it into an engine with extremely low efficiency to begin with.

This is simply a fraud. All these devices are a fraud, otherwise they would be used by the car manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭b.c

found one of these magic boxes on my lexus hybrid today while working on it, just googled what it is now

Advertisement