Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fresh Air Fan Resistor Pack

• 28-03-2022 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭

Decided to post on here as I reckon some excellent electrical knowledge on hand.

Briefly, I have a 3 year old VW (polo) that has had 2 new replacement (under warranty) resistor packs, 3 in all with only ~ 14500kms total. I asked for investigation after second replacement but no joy so I decided to carry out a few tests today after removing the resistor pack. Should also say that these resistors are inserted in the fresh air fan ducting so are air cooled. The fan will only then run in speed 4 when the resistor pack fails. It will also run in speed 4 if your remove the pack terminal block.

The pack is fed from the fan switch and the terminals are numbered 1 to 4 from right to left. The numbers below are self explanatory, but terminal 4 which in speeds 1,2&3 is the ground wire but becomes live (12V) when the fan is switched to speed 4, can someone give a explanation for switching this wire to Live, bearing in mind that the fan will run on speed 4 without any resistor pack or wiring harness and also any comments on the unacceptably very short pack life. (The pollen filter was changed).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Shoog

These resistor packs have a built in thermal fuse which is probably what is failing. The reason it is likely to be failing is because the fan itself is catching and the excess current is blowing the resistor pack fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭John.G

No, not catching because you can turn the fan impeller quite easily with 2 fingers with filter removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭John.G

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

It seems to be a common faulty unit and the replacement also seems to be unreliable.

The resistor pack is "bypassed" at full speed as it's not needed.

Often certain cars or the parts have known issues and replacing the part with like for like is likely to cause the same issue down the road. Over time they typically bring out a new version that fixes the problem, however on cars with only 3 years warranty it soon becomes your problem.

Advertisement