Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Tiling

Options
  • 28-03-2022 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Bought a new build that was supposed to come with tiled bathrooms and splash back but this isn't happening.

Anyway, we are keen to keep costs down so I was thinking about taking on the job of tiling the kitchen, two smallish bathrooms and en suite myself. I'm handy and have some experience with carpentry etc but have never tiled.

Have done all the research on the process, tools etc. As much as you can do online. But there's always the worry that I'll make a balls of it. Anyone any experience with similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I've done it myself, I'm getting better at it.

I'd 100% recommend getting a leveling system/kit for the tiles.

For bathrooms, you'll also want to splash out on water proofing underneath, so get a tanking kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CantCatchCovid

Dont get a leveling kit if your using small tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I suggest tanking showers & bath if they need tiling. Once these are watertight it wont be a big deal if tiles or grout don't look great.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Expensive mistake if you aren't happy with the end result.

IMO sounds like a lot to take on for a first attempt. If you do go for it I'd definitely do the kitchen last, as that'll be the area you see the most.

I know a few people who have done this and you can always tell it was done by a novice. It doesn't look terrible, but it's still fairly obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Do a small scale test first with a box of very cheap throw away tiles and a piece of plywood... put it lying flight on the ground, like a fake floor, or fasten to a wall. make sure your comfortable mixing adhesive especially around consistency and get used to it dropping off the trowel on to the floor. Thats what caught me out. Do some fake cuts for a few light switches etc... its all doable... take your time. Watch YouTube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

That's the worry really. What kind of issues did you notice that gives off the novice look?

Thanks all, will try get a bit of practice beforehand then maybe try the en suite before making a call on the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

Agreed, it requires skill and education. I made a mess the first few times and tiles were scrapped, you need to remove old remnants. If the floor is not cement tiles may move later and break. Ideally get an expert in, particularly if multiple rooms. It's much harder than wall paper to give an idea of skill level needed. No one will die except tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I would suggest doing the smallest job first. Like a kitchen backslash. Know where to start is important too you don't want to end up with a sliver of tile at the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

As above and You need make sure the floors are covered with ply and well nailed down to keep them stable - and tiles must have high coverage of adhesive in contact with floor- first time years ago in my house tile wasnt and tiles lifted soon after as the floor was walked on. Bigger groutlines (gaps) are easier to do but dont look as good imho.

lots of good vids in youtube.

also- that grout/cement burnt the tips of my fingers- typing was painful for weeks- wear gloves!

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

For a diy forum posters don't have turn off people from doing a bit of diy.

I've tiled all my house and parents and helped a couple friends, I've gotten better and better. Floor tiles are about the easiest diy job to do provided the floor is level. Larger tiles are bit more tricky but the principle is the same.

Wall is a bit more difficult, just plan it out, space your tiles correctly for even cuts on both sides of the wall. Don't go making the job difficult by using something like porcelain hexagonal tiles for your first go. Stick to a nice simple shaped ceramic.

I'd recommend renting a wet tile cutter or buying an inexpensive one.

Op for what you will save you can end up with a very satisfactory result by doing it yourself. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Hiring a mini angle grinder would be great help

You've got better, which suggests the first attempts had issues.

As I said, expensive mistake if you aren't happy with / can't live with the final result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

"Don't go making the job difficult by using something like porcelain hexagonal tiles for your first go. Stick to a nice simple shaped ceramic."

Ha, that's what I did in a complicated ensuite. A lot of time was spent planning the tile layout before ever a tile was cut. If going that route one good suggestion is to mark out your tiles (including spacers) on a 6' + length of paper and see how that wraps around the room with regards door openings, windows and any partial partitions.

Another suggestion is to stick with standard set adhesive and take your time. A lot of tilers recommend rapid set for floors so they can be walked on sooner but you're under pressure then to get everything laid correctly before it sets and in my case it set faster than expected.

"Hiring a mini angle grinder would be great help"

Buy one as they're relatively inexpensive and along with a diamond blade or two invaluable for tile work. The diamond core drill bits are great also for the necessary pipe fittings.

Pure lack of concentration, I have subway tile splashback in the kitchen, about 5m x 700mm high and the only fault is the one row has a very narrow tile at the end, no worries I just placed the airfryer over it. As I said just take your time, plan it out and use a simple enough tile and you won't go wrong.

No offence to any tiler, but its definitely a trade/skill a competent DIYer can get a satisfactory finish doing it themselves.

And this is the inexpensive wet tile cutter I recommend picking up https://www.amazon.co.uk/VITREX-103402-Diamond-Blade-Cutting/dp/B000C74Y6M/ref=sr_1_6?crid=ZMN264R05LJR&keywords=tile+cutter&qid=1648557679&sprefix=tile+cutter%2Caps%2C52&sr=8-6

I literally cut 100s tiles with it before it died.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CantCatchCovid

No offence to any tiler, but its definitely a trade/skill a competent DIYer can get a satisfactory finish doing it themselves.

Absolutely this.

In fact a lot of professional tile jobs are rough as **** if you look anyway close !

You do get better with time but that goes for any diy work so just get stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Just to mirror same as here - I didn't have any experience tiling and tiled our bathroom. Lots of youtubing and then just taking my time. Will be quicker and better next time (doing kitchen floor shortly). There's mistakes that are clearly visible to me but that nobody else would notice. Ours is a 70's bungalow though so less pressure to be perfect in general - nothing else is :)

Part of the reason I started looking into this myself is the job a professional did in our current home. Only have 1 pic handy but it's a very shoddy job overall.

• Advertisement

Yea that's bad, should be using spacers which will prevent mistakes like that.

No excuse for that, I go overboard with the spacers to be safe.

I found a site and put in the dimensions of the kitchen etc. along with the sizes of the tiles and spacing. They won't be this colour, just picked it because it was the best contrast with the grout lines!

Of course everything will be laid out and measured but it does look like a narrow strip of tile will likely have to happen somewhere given the layout of the kitchen. Wondering what the best option would he here? Stagger them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

On a quick look I would measure out from the left a half tile width and start your first tile there. You should then have roughly the same size cuts on both sides.

That will have the area by the cabinets sorted alright but then it creates another thin strip in the living area on the right hand side of the pic. I guess it's a matter of prioritising where to put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

tiling is like everything else, practise makes perfect. Start with a small area first. Absolutely it is doable.

spacers make things easier. Simple tiles make life easier. Wet saw makes life easier (doesn’t have to be expensive.)

floor tiles are not the issue, making sure the floor is level and if a sub floor is used it has to be nailed down completely and firmly otherwise breaking and tiles raising will occur.

properly using tile compound/adhesive is vital. Grouting is fun and easy.

look on YouTube. There are lots of good videos there.

have a little patience and enjoy it. I have 3 bathrooms to do this summer and cannot wait to revamp them all.

iTo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

If your pic is to scale would that not leave you with close to a half tile as well on the right?

It would be a little short of it, and if I try to balance it just transfers back to the kitchen. I'll have a look at different tile sizes etc too. I'm not overly fussed about it just wondering what's best practice. Leaving two unform strips puts the cabinets out of line again but that might be alright?

Advertisement