Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues Walking My Dog

Options
  • 28-03-2022 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice on some issues I am having walking Milo. He seems to get a mental block and just refuse to walk certain directions. Will either just turn around and want to go home or pull a different direction until I relent and give in. I was able to get him to stick to one or two common routes but he's started to get unpredictable and he is getting less and less time out walking as a result. We're lucky to get 30 mins in the morning and the evening, but recently we are getting closer to 20 mins.

We have tried to gain his focus while walking and giving treats when he walks to heel focused on me - but that only works in certain circumstances, a lot of the time he couldn't care less what treats i have. I have found starting a little jog to get him moving can sometimes redirect him to focus on me, but sometimes that will only work for a couple of metres and then he is back pulling in the other direction. Ive also tried a stubborn standoff where I try to wait him out, but this almost never works.

The only time we seem to be able to get him out for a big long walk is at the weekend in the phoenix park when he is on his long lead. So i think he is not getting enough exercise and as a result is quite restless in the evenings and difficult to settle. We play games with him in the house to try and exercise his mind a bit too, but its not helping. So any suggestions for how to get my doggy walking again would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement