Ok a quick summary:
We weren't looking to move but came across dream home outside dublin and threw in a sneaky offer which was accepted 15/2/22. The house is vacant and owner is abroad and keen to wrap things up.
We put our house on market 2 weeks later and after 1 day of viewing accepted an offer over asking from a first time buyer who is mortgage approved. Deposit and proof of funds was received 25/3/22
We've submitted all our paperwork to solicitors and bank. The bank had approved us for more than what we need so don't see there being issue.
However solicitor has said the bank could be cause of delay and mean it could be July by time we can move.
I was really expecting May/ early June latest. Could this be correct?
We recently sold and bought at the same time (both transactions on the same day) and it wasn't the bank that held things up at all, it was the solicitors 100%! The bank was very straightforward and not particularly complicated. But I believe it depends on the bank you're getting your mortgage from somewhat, we used ICS and they seemed great, supposedly KBC is very good too (not sure if they are still taking on new mortgage customers).
Thanks so much for that. Yes when the solicitor said to us it will be July because of bank delays I thought it sounded fishy. We are going with KBC we used them last time around and find thm great to reply quickly and things get done fast. Hopefully won't take as long as they're suggesting.
Thanks again for the reply
Could be an underpromise-overdeliver kind of expectation management thing. Sound like you have the ideal starting conditions to get it done, but you should keep the pressure on your solicitor and everyone involved to supply documents in a timely fashion
From what you say it looks like is some of the solicitors... your probably tied in with contracts now... They really have a way of making something simple very complicated...
When we were buying earlier this year the solicitor emphasised to us that the sale will take as long as the slowest mover and that it was usually the bank. In fairness, he was very on the ball, no delays and the bank were fairly good too so. We went sale agreed mid November and got the keys mid-Feb. We were nly buying but not selling a property of our own though so I suppose you have double the opportunity for something to slow things down. Hopefully all goes smoothly, best of luck with it :)