Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a handicap at a new club

Options
  • 28-03-2022 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've got back into golf recently after a 7 year hiatus and joined my local club at the start of the year. Since then I've mostly been playing a few holes by myself in the evenings on the weekend or using the practice facilities to sharpen my game back up. I'm now looking to get a handicap so I can start playing in competitions and meet other people in the club, the problem is since its so long since I was last a member anywhere I need to hand in 3 signed cards again to get a new handicap. I don't know anyone else in the club as I've moved down to where my girlfriend is from so this is a new area as well as a new club for me. What's the best way to find someone to come out for a few rounds with me to sign a scorecard? Hang around the first tee begging threeballs to let me join them? I know people have their groups they already like to play in so I wouldn't like to put anybody out.

Hoping once I get a handicap I can start to meet people and find a group of my own to play in. I was playing off 12 before I quit and probably playing to a standard of around 17/18 now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭blue note

Where is that username from?!

And just say it to them in the pro shop and they'll know best how to get people for you to sign the card. Going out in the Sunday comp is probably a handy way for it, because those people will be playing 18. But they'll probably be able to pair you with someone on a Saturday or during the week too to get you a signed card.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Its a secret we keep closely guarded in the bally!

Thanks for the advice though, didn't even think I could go out in the Sunday comp slots without a HC but that makes sense as the easiest way to do it. I'll get onto the lads in the pro shop about it, they've been dead sound so far so should be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Blackboosh

I just did this. Knew no one in the club I joined. I just rang the pro shop any time I wanted to get out and asked was there someone going out that i could play with. Was always able to get someone to mark my card and everyone I played was very friendly and said to put my down if I saw them on the timesheet

Thanks Blackboosh, pro shop definitely seems to be the way to go. Most golf clubs are fairly welcoming thankfully, it definitely helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xander10

Do the 3 cards have to be from the club you are joining? If not, have you friends that are members elsewhere that could play 18 with you and sign a card?

If you were last playing off 12, I suspect you will end up with something close to that as new handicap, I think they would be slow to put you on 18 despite what you might return card wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭big_drive

On a side note interesting to see from this year on handicaps will not lapse. You can stop for a few years and on return will be allocated whatever handicap you last held.

Should remove the problem of previous players coming back, handing in 3 high scores and getting handicaps much higher than their ability

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

I think the 3 cards have to be rounds at your home club, signed by members of that club that you played those rounds with.

Also, last year I got a handicap for the first time in 4 years, at a different club to previous. My previous handicap ended up at 12.2, and after my 3 initial rounds last year, what did they give me…

12.2…coincidence???

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sean.ocall

Yes I'm in the same position as the op and this is the case, first 3 cards have to be from the home club signed by a member. Our winter format course doesn't have a rating so i haven't been able to get any cards in yet, but I've got a few rounds on the golf Ireland app from other courses and they show as non counting at the moment.

Not sure if they become counting after i get my first handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Generally it just has to be a member of Golf Ireland,previously GUI, to count. I'm pretty sure they can allow non union members to sign aswell as the wording, it just has to be someone the golf club approves of.

Its worth asking your handicap secretary as sometimes they want scores from a certain tee marker or course if you have more than 18 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

You need 54 holes on your new course. Can be off whatever tees but must be the proper tees. So, if for example, your course has forward tees for the winter, you should tee off from the regular tees. Ideally, signed by a club member.

Tell the pro shop that your playing to submit cards for handicap and they will advise you.

Handicap Committee will assess the cards, look at scoring patterns, maybe ask you some questions about your golfing or sporting history and try to assign you a fair handicap index.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

The cards do not have to be from your home club, but it is up to each club to decide if they will accept scores from another venue for initial handicap allocation.

Hi all, a little update on this. I submitted my three cards (two from home course, one from my old course playing with my dad who is still a member) and they put me on.... 12. Surprise surprise.

For the two cards from my home course I just rang the pro shop and asked them to put my name down beside a random threeball in the competition slots who wouldn't mind signing a card. I'm playing with one of these groups again on Sunday. It'll take a bit of time for me to be able to play to 12 again but looking forward to the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭blue note

What were your cards like? I think it'll revert to the WHS calculation quickly enough after you start submitting scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭AyeGer

If you aren’t happy with that handicap you can appeal. There is a formula for calculating the handicaps. If none of your 3 cards were anywhere near 12 then that’s not a fair handicap.

Ah they were close enough in fairness and I would be aiming to get back down to 12 soon anyway. Both courses I played on were par 71 and my 3 scores were all between 84 and 90 gross strokes. I don't care about winning prizes or anything anyway, just want to get the touch back and the handicap down so I don't mind. As blue note mentioned WHS will even it out to what it should be naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sean.ocall

84 on my home course (also 71) would be an 11. something differential, and WHS handicap after the first three scores is the lowest score diff of the three, so 12 is very close to what the WHS rules say you should be: Handicap Index Calculation (randa.org)

I submitted the last of my three last week, and since no one told me not to I also logged them on the golf ireland app and got them approved. Our handicap sec rang me to say that 1. I shouldn't have logged them and 2. He's happy to have me go off the golf ireland calculated handicap because he can't figure out how to change it. Comes out at 21, but with 9 hole scores of +6 to +9 in there so he wanted to cut me a few extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tommyaipsd

What course are you now a member of? I know an old course I used to play would pair you with someone in a similar position to mark each others cards. And I'm not 100% but I'm sure you can submit cards to any club in Ireland with a GUI member marking it, it doesn't have to be the new club. But some courses are harder than others so handicap at your new club may not reflect your handicap from old club, if competitions at your new club are something you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

When I joined my first club, I put my name down on the competition timesheet and one of the group marked my card each time. The club or the group didn't have any issue

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Isn’t that not what WHS is supposed to be all about with the slopes and course ratings etc 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tommyaipsd

Yes, sorry what I meant is many people make the mistake (including me before) of handing in their best cards in their course. Handing in your best cards vs every card is counter intuitive as you're making it worse for yourself really. So shooting 3 great rounds in your old club and handing in your card, and not shooting a good round in the new course and not handing in your card because it wasn't great, will make it much much harder for you. So your handicap won't exactly reflect your true ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Can you stop posting here....you would confuse the hell out of anyone

Like you are throwing random words at a page

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Lol

Advertisement