Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed Sound Test, what now?

Options
  • 27-03-2022 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I really hope someone can shed some light on this.

Bought a new build property in 2018, part of a development. We were either commuting or taking trips etc so didn't really notice much noise from guy next door (semi d). Que lockdowns, having a baby, wfh and we really started to notice noise from him and vice versa. I started following up with my local coco to see records of the sound test, meanwhile guy next door sells and new neighbours move in. Finally got comfirmed just when newbies move in that our house was never sound tested.

We paid for test privately, it was a fail in 1 room and scrapped a pass on 1 room upstairs. (no suprise) developers did their own test and 1 room passed and 1 room failed miserably.

Bare in mind, all rooms were fully furnished on both sides so this is were the bar is at. Developers agreed to fix the fail wall and one other wall that was not tested (this was our main bedroom). Its been two days and there is no difference. My baby has woke up crying, the noise from next door comes through so loud (it's impact noise which i know isn't actaully tested but we also hear phone convos) and i dont know what to do. This is the room that "passed" by a very small margin considering it was furnished.

To us, its seem pointless and that all rooms should be done if there is a fail? Solicitors are telling me i should be happy with the fix but surely if one room fails a sound test then every room should be at least inspected?

Prior to the "fix" they took the skirting board off in the living room and was able to indentify the problem.

Its like half fixing a problem and its really impacting our lives (new neighbours are up at half 5 which means we are up and yes they are aware of the failed tests)

Are we entitled to more than what was offered it us? Are we entitled to have the whole party wall replastered regardless?

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭imp1

Hi,

Sorry but more questions than answers for now.

What is the construction of the party wall. If you thump it with your fist does it give a solid 'thump' or a more hollow sound, but the more detail the better.

What did they see behind the skirting.

What are the actual test results, and who did the testing. Do you have certs, from any of the testing.

For your own private testing, can you give a brief outline of what the tester did, in undertaking the test.

What remedial work was done.

Unless it is a very small development, it is not unusual for your house to not have been tested, a representative sample is what is required.

Why do you say it is impact noise, what can you hear.

Why do you want / need to have the whole party wall replastered.

Also worth bearing in mind that even if the house does pass, this does not mean you will not hear anything from next door.

No comment from me re the legal questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 allof7s

Hollow walls, dry lined.

Test results were bang on pass for upstairs and fail for downstairs. Don't have the exacr numbers, certs gone to solicitor

In regards testing, i had to leave the house both times, but there was speakers going into next door so seems like the standard sound testa

Dry lining removed and rockwool put in

I can hear thumping thuds, doors of their wardrobes closing etc funny he's after slamming the front door qnd waking me at 6am 🤕 the previous neighbour i didn't have this problem, with him it was the radio/tv, talking, could hear him sneeze. Sadly new neighbours are very noisy

I need/what all walls done because sound travels and finds weak spots. It makes sense to do all walls, no? Plus the house should be of spec of what i paid for, this has a big ? over it.

Yup, aware I'll still hear things but if i can at least dampen the sound or try before having to sell and move

Solicitor is taking on our case for breach of building regulations, waiting on the certificate of compliance to come from the banks. Not the only one in the estate of 200 home to have issues, people had tiles cracking in floors, leaky roofs etc. Only here 3 years.

From experience, hollow walls, dry lined will not come anywhere near a pass, so guessing there is more substance than that in the walls.

Without the test results, I would think it difficult to offer any proper advice, but removing dry lining and putting in rockwool would be expected to have just about zero effect, as you have found out. Though I can't work out how the thought that might be the fix by taking of skirting!

From your description, the sound test seems to have been carried out at least close to the standard, the test procedure takes account of internal room finishes and furnishings. Very good of the neighbours to allow the tester in, they are obviously affected as much as you are.

Most of the noise you describe seems to be airborne rather than impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 allof7s

Yes, i feel like i am a bit blindsided in all this. So glad to have a solicitor willing to look into this for. I have to say, the rockwool has at least dampened the sound in the master bedroom and living room. The Developers wanted back in to do another sound test but I am not allowing this until all rooms are fixed.

Very disappointing to have saved our deposit for our first home to be met with this.

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome with the solicitor

Any sign of actual test results? Why not allow them in to test, what harm can that do, to my mind you might be better of talking to the developer and sound tester, rather than a solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can get extremely sound proof walls with hollow, dry line walls and rockwool. You just need to use enough of all materials and detail correctly.

I agree completely, Mellor.

Gyproc used the right way gives some of the best performing party walls, but the build up has to be similar to WT4 of the TGD. The OP seemed to indicate, well to me anyway, the build up was more like 4'' studs with gyproc either side, with no rockwool in the void. That was never going to be near 'bang on for a pass' and removing the drylining, adding rockwool, and replacing the drylining was not going to make any difference. Hence my questions on the actual make up. Drylining, when used to create a service void on plastered block walls also works very well, the wall will sound very hollow to the tap, which might alarm householders, but be perfectly normal - in that instance.

I was thinking more along the lines that a singled layer, no rockwool, partition wall is terrible. But it can be upgraded relatively easily to a WT4 grade wall. Not a hassle free job, but doable. The recourse is there.

Itn terms of upper limit, I've see wall in light wight construction that would leave WT1 and WT4 in the dust for acoustic insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Soundproofing requires really good detailing which the Irish building trade has no reputation for. Even small holes can cause issues for otherwise good walls. You can add another layer of acoustic board and material correctly and it should have a good effect. I would be inclined to remove the existing wall though and treat the problem at source

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hilwrh9

Hi

Did you ever manage to get anywhere with this?

I have recently moved into a new home and considering having my walls privately tested as i believe we have sub standard soundproofing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Sound proofing doesn't really depend on the wall or the size and thickness of the wall, rather than what's attached to it. One example are tiles on the floor making direct contact with the wall itself, thus the sound can travel.

So taking the skirting boards off and putting something in between, no matter how small, so that sound doesn't travel, is one possible choice to remedy the problem.

The important thing is that the floor and the wall have something in between for the sound not to travel.

The rest has already been written, Irish builders don't seem to be the best in dealing with the issue.

That’s not true. The wall buildup is the biggest indicator of sound insulation.

The difference tile will make to flanking sound is minimal. Consider that the all floors are in man cases connected to walls.

Advertisement