Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Vandalised - What is the Situation with Cover until my Claim is Settled?

Options
  • 27-03-2022 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

My car was vandalised.

I have Comprehensive cover.

My Insurer has assessed it as a write-off.

My Insurer is being difficult to deal with, taking weeks to answer basic questions and not answering others at all.

For instance the salvage company told me about the Write-Off Assessment weeks before my Insurer would tell me anything, despite my queries to it, I still have not been contacted with any pre-accident valuation, much less a copy of the Assessor's Report, and my query about cover now and going forward has received no answer at all.

From this behaviour, it seems I can expect a long period of delay before this claim will be settled.

My policy only includes Courtesy Car hire for roughly 1 week.

If I buy a car during this period, how should I arrange Insurance cover? By new policy or transfer of existing cover with my Insurer?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Must have been hugely damaged by vandalism to be a write off.

Claim wise it's between you and the insurer really. Has the wreck been removed?

I can't see why you can't transfer your cover to a different car immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Aongus Von Heisenberg

Thanks Henry,

Unfortunately, its proven difficult to speak with the Insurer at all.

I was able to arrange a temporary cover transfer on its website yesterday.

Advertisement