Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is planning permission needed installing new side window.

Options
  • 26-03-2022 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Is planning permission needed to install a new window into the side of a bungalow, which had no window before. It will face another house, which is presently being built and facing the side of our house, but a fence and hedge between means we won't see into our neighbors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Planning Permission is required for a proposed window opening to the side or front of an existing house.

If it were me I would fit the window and hope that no one makes a compliant to the Planners.

If a compliant is made, the Enforcement Officers will request you to make an application for Retention of the window. No big deal.

After 7 years the Enforcement Officers will not take any action.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You need planning if the window is within 1m of the boundary of faces at ground level and 11m at first floor level.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

Thanks for responses. Just measured side of house to boundary wall, it's 2.3 metres.

Going from council website which states

There are also restrictions relating to the required distances between windows in extensions, the facing boundary of the adjoining property and the use of the roof of the extension. These are:

• Any windows proposed at ground floor level as part of an extension should not be less than 1 metre from the boundary they face"

I guessing I don't need planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Crafty Sue

Windows 1 metre from a boundary is to satisfy Fire Regulations.

Window to the side of an existing house requires planning permission. You will require this planning if you decide to sell the house.

I would fit the window without planning as earlier described,

Advertisement