Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric cars and speeding

Options
  • 25-03-2022 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

It seems to me that all the electric car owners are driving way too fast in the traffic?

Anyone else noticed that?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

you mean speeding as in breaking the law?

most EV's I see are always driving quite slowly, as it's far more efficient for them to do so.. The only cars that pass me on the motorway are ICE cars. (I'd be driving at the posted limit)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I find they drive slower than ICE cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

They accelerate faster so maybe that's what you're seeing, definitely haven't spotted a greater level of speeding in them than ICE, if anything like others they tend to be driven slower.

Yeah, in fairness off the lights, an EV will have the skin off most mens backs…..

I’ve been prone to the odd ‘enthusiastic’ launch on green myself from time to time if at the head of the traffic queue….

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dhenalau

Yes, thinking about it again, this is more what I'm seeing, they accelerate faster which give an impression of speeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They would get up to 50kph quicker but it's only if they go over it that they break the limit.

However accelerating rapidly could constitute driving without due care and attention in some circumstances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

most EV's I see are always driving quite slowly, as it's far more efficient for them to do so.

this applies to all cars, tbf. maybe EV drivers are just more conscious/get better feedback about efficiency.

The first few days of owning an EV, if I was joining a motorway and gave it the electrons, I wouldn't feel how quick it was accelerating as it was just so smooth.

I looked at the speedo 1 time early on as I joined an empty motorway and suddenly I was doing 180 km/h!!!!!!

Advertisement