Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single zone heating and hot water, need water only

Options
  • 25-03-2022 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭

Had to get my boiler replaced in an emergency situation last year. I now have an Ideal Logic System S18IE. I took the plumber's advice, foolishly probably. I have the EPH Ember thermostat system (bunch of crap) and everything is on a single zone.

Woke up this morning, no hot water. After much panic I realised the sun coming in had the temperature in the house at the temperature the thermostat is set to so the heating didn't come on.

My old boiler had a switch to choose water only but this one doesn't. Can I do anything other than take the batteries out of the freestanding thermostat for the next few months?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

You could have your house zoned. There's a grant for doing it. Check out SEAI website.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The fact your old boiler had the switch to do it separate would likely mean the plumbing is still there, but maybe the new controls just aren't wired in to the different zones meaning it would be easy enough job.

Maybe post up some pics of pipework.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The main thermostat doesn't have an option for anything other than a single zone, I think that's my first problem. I was supposed to be getting a Hive/Nest (can't remember which) but it was only after they left I realised I had this EPH crap. He said he'd do me a deal if I wanted to change it 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'll look into that, thanks. Minimising gas usage looks like a priority in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭youtheman

All you can do (for now) is to turn all your radiators off and then turn your thermostat up fully. If the temperature in the room is below the set point then the boiler will fire and heat the hot water tank only. Not ideal as the boiler will only control or cut out on the boiler 'over-run thermostat'. If I was doing this then I'd use the timer to run the boiler for 1/2 hour, 1 hour max.

• Advertisement
Advertisement