Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving mains supply to other side of house

Options
  • 24-03-2022 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭

We're planning on switching our living room and kitchen around.

The new spot for the kitchen sink will be on the opposite end of the ground floor.

We don't want/can't afford to rip up a floor to take a feed from where the mains currently is and create a new mains supply in the new location.

Is it possible to take a supply from the attic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Doolittle51

You could T off the mains supply to your tank in the attic. Is there an easy route for the pipe from the attic to the new location? It might need to be boxed in, which is unsightly. Maybe you could run it through stud walls? That's also quite disruptive and there's a risk that someone will put a nail or screw though the pipe in future.

I presume the stopcock is currently in the kitchen. If so, it will need to be left easily accessible.

What about hot water? And drains?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Do you have a diagram?

I did something similar, i joined the hydrodare pipe under the floor where the old kitchen sink was to qualpex, ran it around the wall of the extension to the new location of the kitchen sink, where i located a new stop cock. I then ran a new feed to the attic from the stop cock under the sink. If you are putting a joint under a floor make sure you know what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Ah that's great news. Our plumber isn't available for another couple of weeks to come survey and we've gotten plans from a kitchen designer. It would be dead in the pardon the pun water if we couldn't take mains from the attic.

The waste from the bathroom directly above is internal and boxed in (from a previous knocking two rooms together job), there's plenty of space within that.

Ditto hot water as the hot press is directly above too.

We'll be able to keep access to the ballcock in the new living room.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Good idea, but that's not an option for us unfortunately. It's an L shaped house, we would need to pass our hall door to do that.

I wouldn't dream of doing any of it myself, but really I would hate to have to rip up the floor. It's a solid oak that has almost 20 years of good aging in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Doolittle51

If the hot press is directly above, then you're sorted. There's a good chance that the mains pipe to the attic tank is going through the hot press. So the plumber could just T off there instead of the attic. Have a look in the hot press for a black plastic pipe. Even if it's not there, it sounds like you have a handy route from new kitchen to attic via the hot press.

• Advertisement
Advertisement