Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity blocks or standard blocks for Garden Wall

Options
  • 23-03-2022 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

hi,

I'm looking to build a garden wall on the front of my property (will be along a country road). This wall will be faced with Thinstone (natural stone cut in thin slices) on the outside and plastered on the inside.

Wall will be approx 40m long with pillars at either end and in middle. It will be 1.2m high with caps on.

Can anyone comment on whether cavity blocks or 'standard' concrete blocks are better? Also, is there much difference in price for the material?

thanks,

Colum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

A while since I bought either but generally cavity blocks were a bit dearer than a standard block, but not twice the cost. '9"' Cavity blocks would do the job and be of stable width. With standard '4" blocks', you'd likely lay on the flat and use two blocks for every cavity block. You might also need more pillars generally in your idea - 20 metre is a big gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 codea

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, will need multiple pillars (about every 6 meters i think)

Was thinking of cavity blocks as would be much easier/faster to lay as well...

Advertisement