Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Lanes Commuting Dublin

Options
  • 23-03-2022 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

So I have start commuting by bike from Balbriggan to the City Centre. Been off the bike for around 17 years and its nice to be back. Generally speaking are the Guards ok with you using the bus lanes at peak times? Do they generally turn a blind eye assuming your not taking the p@ss speeding etc. Have people been stopped or pulled for it? Just good to know the lay of the land as such. Cheers all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If it wasn't for bus lanes, commuting by bike in Dublin would be pointless. It's the most ridiculous law ever and the Gardai know it, too.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yes to all your remarks. you might on occasion hear of a random lad getting pulled in but its generally ignored.

Post edited by GBX on

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Good to know lads cheers.

Put it this way -

If a garda sees you riding recklessly, in their opinion, that's subjective and more difficult to prove in court.

If they see you riding recklessly, in their opinion, in a bus lane then it's very easy to prove in court that you were riding in a bus lane...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Haven't had to commute for a while now since covid but when I was I was always in the bus lane. Never been pulled and was even waved on at check points.

My advice, aside from not being a hoon while in the bus lane, try and enter and exit where the line is broken, no need to add to the list of offences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Slightly related.... in terms of technical infringements.

Lets say your single lane is stopped (occasionally crawling), not much traffic coming the other way. My view is to tip along gently up along the queue. This nearly always being over the white line, which may or may not be broken, or contain turning lanes (obv extra care re lanes my side might use), maybe even some sort of traffic island. As oncoming traffic appears you "shove in", sufficiently not to slow them down (this would all be within speed limit zones, so oncoming traffic not flying it).

If its a broken line, I guess its plain overtaking BUT if solid line/turning lanes then technically it is breaking the law. Are the guards interested in this? - I'd be going slowly enough - as in "filtering", although technically this would be lane splitting. Similar would be zipping up to the front at lights, might be solid line you need to break - but sure if you didn't do this stuff (non-aggressively) there'd be little point being on the bike in urban areas.

Any views?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I've gone straight up to the front before in that situation, especially on the S. Circular road, which is now even worse than normal.

I do have a tendancy to not speed past a garda car if I can help it, but if the traffic is stationary I just squeeze through watching I don't hit anyone on the way back.

I don't agree with going into the cycle lanes though to get through traffic though I think you're asking for trouble that way. I've seen takeaway delivery drivers doing it and nearly hitting cyclists because they wern't paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Everything within reason...

filtering in stopped or very slow traffic at lights - fine

use of bus lane - 100%, thats my bus lane

use of cycle lane - absolutely not, cyclists are more vulnerable and are entitled to their protected space

lane splitting, US or Paris style - no... I'm not putting myself at risk

Filtering where theres a broken line - yes, if it is safe, per ROTR

I was once hit by a car as I used a cycle lane to filter very slowly up to some lights. the car was crossing my lane to turn into the driveway of a business. The insurance went 100% in my favour... Their view was that if I had have been a cyclist, that the consequences would have been the same (or worse) and the driver had responsibility as he was crossing someone else's lane...

Post edited by Bluefoam on

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Agree, cycle lanes a def no. In general I wouldn't filter on the left (unless bus lane). Not much scope for "normal" filtering (between 2 lanes in same direction) near me.

As regards lane splitting - I'm not one for taking wild chances - would be talking good sightlines, low speeds, scope to 'shove in'.

Just curious as to the boys in blue, do they use cop on (pardon the pun) - weigh up whether endangering yourself or others - or is it a chance to nail someone? & I know there's no one answer....

I'm mid 40s on a 'dad bike' in high viz nerd kit with airbag - so I'll be going with the "sure I'm all about the safety Garda"....😬🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bigserious1

I have been commuting from Dublin 9 into Dublin 4 most days for the last 3yrs on a motorbike.

Never been pulled in for using a bus lane but don't rip the piss if I see a checkpoint. Often slowly overtaken a row of cars in full view of garda cars and never had any hassle. Bit of common sense and you'll be fine.

Also can't stand motorbikes using cycle lanes. Only takes an extra few seconds to overtake properly. I've had a car door opened on me cycling in and don't fancy it on a motorbike either. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Have to agree, with all the responses here.

In relation to the guards looking at bikers filtering and bending the guidelines (as there is no rule for filtering) as an opportunity to ruin someone's day, I'd say definitely not. I've been pulled over several times on my commute (never for being in bus lanes) and its always been a chat about bike safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

As a car driver I think it's nuts that motorbikes aren't allowed in the bus lane. Every bike is one less car on the road, they're super manoeuvrable, they don't cause traffic jams and there's less chance of them being rear ended as a vulnerable road user. And truth being told they're usually better drivers than your average car driver.

Obviously the Gardai agree with me.

The Dublin SCR bus lane is a van park and has been for years! Fuppin' joke.

Life ain't always empty.

Its such a daft change to the lane.

There isn't any space for vans to be able to pull over properly to unload goods for the spar or any other shops there. I commute along it nearly every day and at rushhour its horrendous!

When I was working in rathcoole I was using the car, and the new change would have added on another 20 - 30 minutes to my commute in the morning. On the bike it doesn't affect me too much thankfully unless I've the panniers on. But if I'm moving stuff from the workshop to my apartment or vice versa then I take the car in the middle of the night to avoid the traffic now.

Eastbound. Nothing to do with shops, just random builders and delivery drivers. What new changes?

Life ain't always empty.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3404681,-6.3077063,18.06z

It use to be dual lane here going out of the city. in the last year they expanded the cycling lanes by quite a bit and got rid of the second lane.

Down by phoenix park they did the same, created alot more traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

They created the same or less traffic... Just less space for cars. But the bike traffic is moving freely.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

You are 99% of the time fine using bus lanes as long as you don't act the bollix (i.e. revving the engine, speeding etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have been stopped (warning only) by a motorbike cop before, basic summary was stationary traffic is one thing but don't be seen to riding along in the bus lane when there are Garda in the area.

Post edited by Alkers on

• Advertisement

Riding in a cycle lane should always be a big no anyway.

You're not a bicycle despite having two wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Edited my post there, that should have read bus lane

ah fair! surprised you were stopped then by a garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

In 15 years of cross city riding I was stopped twice in the bus lane, both in Fairview. Once heading out of town in rush hour, on a moped. Waved in by beat Garda. I slid down my bike over-jacket zip so my jacket, shirt and tie appeared, and as I went to unclip the helmet, he starts walking away, Go on! go on! so that was that. A year later heading into town in morning rush hour on my Virago. Motorcycle Garda steps into the bus lane at Edge's corner, then directs me into the layby before the bus stop (where his bike was parked).

"You were either riding in the bus lane, or overtaking traffic on the left. Overtaking on the left incurs points. Make up your mind which it was while I check the lane again". Off comes the helmet to reveal the grey-headed 45+ year old commuter. Back he comes. "Well, which was it?" "Oh, I wasn't overtaking on the left"

" And.....",

"I was driving in the bus lane". After a significant pause to allow me to sweat a little more, "On yer bike, and if I see you in here again I'll DO ye!!!" Of course, when I went to rejoin traffic, the car drivers wouldn't let me back in, so I was sat astride the bus lane for probably a minute or two before I got in, miraculously no bus came or I'd probably have been charged with obstructing traffic 🤣🤣🤣. We're talking 2001 or so, so consider the reported dialogue above a paraphrasing -but its pretty accurate, if not exact. The " I'll DO ye" is definitely accurate though, I can't inject the venom into the typed wording, but I can still remember his face, very angry man.

But after that, I occasionally saw a Garda standing in line with those trees as I came round Edge's Corner in the morning, and for some reason their attention would suddenly be drawn to something in the middle distance across the road, thereby failing to notice me. Much the same everywhere else.

I was always a sedate rider, so I wouldn't be acting the maggot on the two occasions above.

Advertisement