Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hybrid Insurance - Doubled!

Options
  • 23-03-2022 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi. I've just received my insurance renewal quote - I got a hybrid recently and when I swapped cover from old to new car I was told there was no additional premium to pay for the remaining period of the policy and I assumed that meant that when it was time to renew, 6 weeks after swapping cover, that the price would be similar to last year but the new quote is double last years price! I went from a 2010 1.2 petrol to a 2013 1.8 hybrid. Is it normal for there to be such an increase? I've a full license for years, full no claims bonus, no points etc.

Want to gather my facts and composure before ringing insurance company!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not sure how things work now but in my day Going from 1.2 to 1.8 was a massive leap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Why bother ringing your insurer? Search everywhere else for an alternative quote, like you should every year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Complaining about a high renewal premium is a waste of time. Your current insurers are no longer competitive in your area of the market.

Get a better quote elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Miscreant

As already said, find another insurer. I had a similar situation last year when my renewal quote came in at almost €700. I got a quote for less than €400 with the same cover from a different insurer and didn't even give the current one a chance to counter.

Loyalty means nothing to insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I assume it's a Prius or CT200h, issue causing the loading is the theft of catalytic convertors from them, it's at epidemic levels, insurers have responded by increasing the cost of cover and some not wanting to touch them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement