Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Lighting System for Extension/Garden

Options
  • 22-03-2022 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I've been planning an extension to my house for a while, and the builders are finally due to start work on Monday. We'll be completely re-doing the kitchen, adding living space/office, and giving the garden an overhaul (if we haven't run out of money).

Up to now, our house is just using standard light switches and bulbs, but I'd like to take this opportunity to add a smart system. In the kitchen I'd like spot lights, and maybe led strips under the counter tops. In the extension I'm thinking of having a false ceiling with strip lights around the edge, and some spots in the middle. The extension will open into the garden, so I'd like some lights out there too, maybe more strip lighting along the edge of raised beds. Most days I'd just like to be able to use the lights like normal lights, but I'd also like to be able to switch to party mode and have them change colours etc. I obviously plan on discussing all this with the builder/electrician, but I'd like to have an understanding of what our options are before then.

So, I'd be really interested in hearing your opinions/advice. I've read on here about Hue, and having watched some videos etc online, I'm thinking that might fit the bill? Any alternatives? If it is hue, and advice on setup etc? I don't know what I don't know!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Hue all the way. just replace the bulbs with hue and add some hue dimmer switches and motion sensors.

The main reason I suggest hue is ease of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Thanks for the reply Robbie.

Been doing some more googling. I think the indoor bulbs and some of the outdoor stuff by Hue look ideal. Any thoughts on the strips specifically? If we go ahead with the led strip around the ceiling, it'll probably be about 18 meters - the hue strips on their site look expensive, and short. Any workarounds there? My goal would be to have all the smart lights in the extension and the garden on the same system if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I dont think hue will work for your full 18m. I'm not sure if any of the smart led strips will do 18m. So you will be looking at multiple single strips. And you are right this will work out expensive with HUE.

The hue strips are not wired in either, they come with a power adapter so will need to be powered via normal 3 pin sockets so this will need to be factored in if you consider hue for the false ceiling lighting. You can buy Zigbee adapters for other LED strips that can integrate with Hue but I have no experience of them or wiring options

The standard recommendation here if buying Hue used to be to buy Hue bulbs when they go on sale. Black friday, amazon sales etc

I have HUE throughout my house, garden and shed. I'm using two hue hubs as there is a limit of 50 bulbs per hub or there was. ( I haven't looked into in a while since I got it all setup a couple of years back). Hue works off zigbee so each bulb extends the mesh network further(as long as bulbs are powered on that is) so extending from the shed to garden shouldn't present major issues.

Hue isn't cheap but it works relatively flawlessly (compared to other bulbs i have tried ikea, lidl smart bulbs etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Thanks again for the comment Robbie.

Just wondering if anyone else might have experience integrating a long length of strip ceiling lighting with hue (or any other smart setup for that matter)?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

The hue strip light will extend to 10mtrs (33ft) maximum. Definitely go with Hue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement