Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fence posts shorter than fence panel

Options
  • 21-03-2022 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Neighbour replaced fence panels but the new ones are higher than the posts. The posts are 1.80m and fence panels are 2m.

Would there be an issue weather wise or longevity of the panels because of the height difference ?

Neighbour bought the panels himself (I suggested go 50/50 but he didn't want it)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Photos

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Photos

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Having the top of the fence higher that the pillar supporting them is fine. They are pressure treated to start with. If anything the bit higher than the pillar will withstand the weather better than the part in the pillar as they will be getting treated/stained every few years

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, it'll be fine. There's always the potential years down the line that the fences may crack at the 1.8m point due to strong winds and rotting wood, but at that stage you'll be thinking about replacing them again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You can buy or make timber fence post extensions, which would at least tie it together visually, although it might still look a little odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Are the posts timber or concrete?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

I attached a picture of the panel(s) in question. Posts are concrete.

I looked at extensions but, like said before, it looks weird.

The last thing I want is gust winds breaking the first 20/30 centimetres of the fence

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's not going to happen because there's no leverage in the first 20/30 centimetres.

Advertisement