Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameras for Home Assistant

Options
  • 21-03-2022 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to move away from my cloud based TP-Link Kasa cameras - €40 per camera per year is too much.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cameras that integrate with HA (maybe via Frigate (I need to read up more on this))?

I'm not looking for anything too expensive, I'm just looking to keep an eye on the pets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

I just use low res substreams of my hikvison cameras pulled into HA. Static images get updated every ten seconds and then if you click on one you get the live stream.

If I want hi res I VPN back home and fire up the dedicated app. That way the NVR is on a private network and the HA install can talk to the cams and expose footage without having the NVR reachable from the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Do you have any old Android phones lying around? IPWebcam app integrates to HA.

I've got one in the kitchen - mainly used as a lux sensor to automate turning on a light in the dark corner, but can pull the camera stream in to HA - I don't though as it really slows my WIFI down. Probably more to do with my crappy mesh system than anything else though.

Advertisement