Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Water Treatment Systems

Options
  • 21-03-2022 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a UV and water softener kit installed for my private well water supply and was hoping to get some insights/advice from any of you who've done it already.

Is Reverse Osmosis really quackery or is it legit? Do carbon filters really work against e-coli or is UV the only answer? How long do the bulbs last and how expensive are they to replace?

Any recommended suppliers/installers would be welcomed too.

Thanks,

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

Is your water drinkable at present?

Is there a particular reason why your looking at a UV lamp or are you just future proofing?

Maybe get your well water analysed to see the quality of your well water. You may not need a UV lamp unit. I have a softener to control the limescale and an iron/manganese unit as our well have high levels of iron in the raw water. My raw water is clean from a bacteria point of view so dont need any other treatments.Also there is a grant available from the council for well upgrades but having limescale is not one of the qualifying requirements.

I cant comment on domestic RO units but my company have a commercial RO unit with a UV lamp. RO units generally produce high quality water but it does waste quite a bit of water to get that good quality water. UV bulbs are not cheap but they are generally rated to 9000 hrs (1 Year)

MOD SNIP No advertising. Send poster a pm if you need to provide a link.

Post edited by Wearb on

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nortes

MOD NOTE. STOP POSTING NONSENSE OR STOP POSTING ON THIS FORUM.

Post edited by Wearb on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Toa answer the 'why?' question, I recently had the water tested and it shows the presence of e-coli and coliforms. I don't drink the tap water but do use it for cooking/tea etc. It's also very high on the hardness scale so would have to be addressed to make UV filters viable (or so I'm told). I plan on sterlising the well with chlorine too, just to see if that keeps the e-coli away before I install anything.

Looking online I asked for a number of quotes and it seems there are at least one and possibly 2 companies that operate under multiple names but yet operate out of the same address (email responses follow the same template response too which sets alarms off with me). One crowd did ring me and spend time talking and sent a proper personalised response after so I will most likely opt for them when the time comes.

RO units generally produce high quality water but it does waste quite a bit of water to get that good quality water.

Just googled that now and tbh that's a bit shocking. Wiki says "the latest RO water purifiers can recover 40 to 55% of water. The remainder is discharged as waste water." As my particular system has very low contaminents other than the aforementioned e-coli, I might actually forego that element of the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

@ wearb. I dont have a business or trade to advertise or promote. I work as a maintenance technician in a pharmaceutical company.

I think you have taken issue with the "my company" statement, however i simply meant the company i work for have a number of these units installed to produce water for the companies products. It may have been poor english on my part but i cant edit my post as it over the 24 hrs since i posted it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

You can still send the poster that link if you want to.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
Advertisement