Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No cold water in kitchen tap,all valves are open

Options
  • 21-03-2022 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Hi all.We have recently bought house and we were given keys few days before closing date to put appliances.

When I turned on main water valve under the sink we still dont have cold water coming out from the tap but there is water coming out on the same pipe from dishwasher mains valve(hope that make sense).

As much I can see,main water valve ,dishwasher valve and cold water tap are on the same pipe.There is no separate on/off valve for the tap.

There is hot/cold water upstairs in every tap.

Is there anything else I can check in the meantime?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

check your mains supply outside the gate. Hopefully its the modern one with a plastic handle that you give a quarter turn (anti-clockwise, I think) to open it. Best to have two people, one inside listening for water coming out where it shouldn't, in case it was turned off for that reason. However, its more likely that someone turned it off to prevent catastrophe in a vacant house.

I'm just a DIY'er, so maybe someone else will come along with better advice. oh, congrats on the new house, I'm sure you'll be very happy in it.

edit: oops, just noticed the bit about the dishwasher valve, on the same feed, having water. Could that be just water draining out of the feed to the attic? - although you'd expect to see the same thing happening at the cold tap. Can you be sure that was actually operating at mains pressure? It should be a pretty strong flow into a basin. Years ago I had a similar problem, the valve in the cold tap was goosed and not opening so water barely trickled out. Eventually I took the tap asunder to find that moving part had come away from the threaded part and therefor was not opening properly. New washer and screwed the moving part back on and bingo. Modern taps work differently, so I can't say how to check them. and so, back to my original caveat - someone more in the know is bound to appear and offer sound advice. The modern tap just opens a quarter turn, that's the one I can't talk about. Had I been paying attention about the dishwasher valve , I wouldn't have posted the long boring diatribe in the first place. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

I will check that later on but if the valve outside the house is off how come there is water coming out when I turn on valve for dishwasher or washing machine?

Thats why i got confused :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I'm embarrassed at myself for posting rubbish, caused by not reading the opening post properly. I probably hadn't finished editing my post before you replied. Sorry for misleading you. You're not confused (or even confused.com), what you describe most likely points to the kitchen tap being suspect. I'm off to do some sort of penance now......

Good luck!😉

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

When you flush the toilet does the attic tank fill? Can you hear it fill? If you can then you have working mains supply in the house. With the dishwasher getting water I'm assuming the mains supply is indeed working

It's possible that the cold tap in the kitchen needs replacing

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Hi guys.Sorry for late reply.

I spoke to estate agent when I was giving keys back and told him about it.

He rang me an hour later and said owner switched off main valve outside the house for insurance reasons and that will be sorted.

Still dont know how come pressure from dishwasher valve was so high,anyway im getting keys back on friday(hopefully) and I wll check myself.

Thanks for help

• Advertisement
Advertisement