Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freedom to Marry Form

• 21-03-2022 1:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Has anybody Amy experience with the freedom to marry certificate from the Department of Foreign affairs.

We have decided to get married while in New York in ten weeks time, we have filled out the freedom to marry certificate from the DFA, Just incase of any delays in that getting to us, is it required in the State of New York, I have looked online but can't find any mention of it..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nicp31

Hi just wondering did you get married in New York ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭piplip87

Hu getting married there on the 1st of June Marriage license dependant. It seems NYC clerks office, they release new appointments to get one weekly haven't got on so far but it's looking like we will need to go to some of the other clerks offices the day before :) as ones outside NYC itself are open for walk ins. if you need any help please reach out.

We didnt requre the freedom to marry certificate from the Irish Government

Hu getting married there on the 1st of June Marriage license dependant. It seems NYC clerks office, they release new appointments to get one weekly haven't got on so far but it's looking like we will need to go to some of the other clerks offices the day before :) as ones outside NYC itself are open for walk ins. if you need any help please reach out.

We didnt requre the freedom to marry certificate from the Irish Government

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nansheen

Hi, we're planning to get married in NY in July, great to hear we don't need the freedom to marry.

When should we schedule an appointment for the marriage license, is there a waiting list, is it too risky to do it when we're over there the day before wedding?

Help!! Haha

Thanks, nansheen.

Im getting married over there next week still can't get an appointment for the NYC city clerks office. They release new appointments weekly but they are gone in seconds.

https://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/content/marriage-license

The only thing is all marriage licenses issued in New York state are valid in New York city.

Any town or city clerks office can issue a marriage license and most of them don't require an appointment, the one in Yonkers seems like the handiest for us to get too as we are staying in Times Square.

I'd imagine that's where we will go. You still need to fill out a form online just email them.

You need to wait 24 hours after its issued to get married.

Best of luck with it. It seems confusing at first but it's pretty straightforward.

• Advertisement

We did it. The marriage license part was a mess trying to get an appointment for NYC clerks office. So we emailed the Yonkers Clerks office and got the forms emailed to us. We where in and out of the clerk's office in 20 minutes, no appointment needed. Plus we got to see a bit of Yonkers very laid back compared to NYC.

The appointments for the NYC office are released at 2pm Irish time on a Monday two weeks in advance. I'd still recommend going to Yonkers as your not on the time.

Ceremony wise very good quick and easy if you need an officiant let me know our guy even brought his own witnesses.

All in all brilliant experience and a fantastic holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chocolab072022

Hi

I am thinking of going to NY to get married, do you know if the marraiges are legally recognised in Ireland for tax/inheritance purposes? There seems to be a lot of countries where you have to get married in Ireland aswell and I don't really want to do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yes.

You don't have to get married in Ireland.

I am unaware of any country, where if you hold a proper legal wedding, it is not recognised in Ireland?? Where are you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chocolab072022

Hi, we are hoping to go to New York and do the marriage in city Hall. Marriages abroad have to be entered onto that countries civil register. Im struggling to find out which countries do this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

• Advertisement
Advertisement