Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nanny Cam

Options
  • 20-03-2022 10:20pm

Is it legal to have a camera recording the babysitter in a persons home (obviously not in the toilets) and which can also be viewed in real time on the phone. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

The legal issue would be has the babysitter been informed and has consented. You cannot legally record someone in a private space/work place without consent. The bigger question is why would you leave kids with someone you dont trust? I dont know too many people who would be happy to be on a live feed while working.

Most of us that work in an office are on a live security feed.

Well I don't and wouldn't. I assume if you do there are signs up advising cameras in place. You asked about a home in childminding context, if people have concerns surely they wouldn't leave their child in their care. I have had numerous childminders and babysitters over the years never felt the need to record them.

How did you know in advance that you had a good childminder that didn't need to be checked upon?

• Advertisement

It seems like the link doesn't say no CCTV in the workplace rather explain why there is some. It is probably buried deep within the employee handbook. Thank you for your contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Staff would need to be aware of it, and you’d need a good reason to have it in the workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭jackboy

Post edited by jackboy on

That’s the law. It’s not a matter of opinion. Read the DPC guidance.

Post edited by jackboy on

• Advertisement

If they make up a reason, report them to the DPC who don’t let people away with makey-uppey responses.

It’s another good reason to unionise too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Mod Note
    Keep on topic folks - offices aren't the subject of discussion in this particular case
    Thanks
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

"Your honour, I suspected the nanny was wasting too much shower gel along with wasting water. I just needed proof and that is why I collected those two years worth of secret videos"

If I had a job where I found out I was being secretly recorded, I'd be more than pis$ed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Regardless of whether they have them, one would assume that there might be restrictions on how they can use the information gathered.

i.e. if they put one behind you for "security reasons" and then a few months later haul you in an fire you because you weren't spending enough time at your desk, then they probably wouldn't be able to depend on the video of you being absent to prove it.

So.. how about the nanny cam in a person's home?:)

Same applies, if your home is their workplace. You need a good reason, and data subjects need to be informed. They can as demand a copy of any of their personal data you hold, which includes video.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Are you going to cover your entire home in cameras or insist that the nanny never leaves sight of the camera so that you can watch?

Good luck finding someone to work for you.

I would find this arrangement utterly bizarre and probably figure you are not worth working for.

There seems to be a lot of negativity towards the idea of a nanny cam. I'm wondering if it is coming from people with young children?

It is quite popular in America and might be popular here, we just don't discuss it and the point is that it is hidden so many childminders might not be aware of it and the parents might not be informed on GDPR enough to know their obligations.

Lots of people find their childminder through an agency so there is only so much comfort you can get regarding this person.

You don’t have GDPR obligations outside of EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'm just going to give up on this.

I think your reference to america maybe the issue. This board is set in Ireland - and in Ireland people tend to find childminders by referral they provide references and in some cases Garda Clearance. I have never met anyone who used an agency -are you mixing up nanny/childminder. I.e. Childminder usually number of children in their home. Nanny tends to be solely employed by family to work in family home. Either way no you can not hide a camera to live feed someone in their workplace - it is ethically and legally wrong.

You asked if we had young kids - my kids are now in the age range 8-15, When my children were very young - pre verbal they went to a Creche as I didn't have the network to access a childminder in a new area and yes I was nervous trusting an individual with my child. A camera is not going to protect your kids - it is simply going to show what happens - break any sort of trust you have with childminder and break the law.

Advertisement